OpenSUSE Dependencies Testers wanted 32/64bit

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/OpenSUSE Dependencies Testers wanted 32/64bit

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#1]
Well yesterday I installed openSUSE 12.3 64bit so I could see what was needed to do for adding it to an install script I've been messing with for the last couple of days. First one thing to note: getting any nvidia proprietary graphics driver to work is almost impossible ( forget the yast installer method and just build it the hard way which is still hit and miss ). After I managed to get nvidia's 319.23 driver working it ran worse than the nouveau driver did. But this could be down to something about that the user had to be added to the group for the nvidia driver. In the end I reinstalled it and stuck to the nouveau driver.
NOTE:If you try to run any blitzmax application in virtualbox running openSUSE it will crash.

You'll can use either yast or zypper to install the packages.
All packages with -32bit are meant for installing on 64bit machines so that you can run 32bit software. If your using a 32 version of openSUSE then don't bother adding -32bit to the package name.

If you already have got some pre-built blitzmax applications ready. Then these below should get a standard BlitzMax compiled
program running.

BLITZMAX APPLICATION DEPENDENCIES 64bit
ALSA
alsa-oss-32bit
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit

PULSE AUDIO
libpulse0-32bit

OPENAL
libopenal0-32bit

CORE
Mesa-libGL1-32bit

libfreetype6-32bit
libXft2-32bit

GUI
libXpm4-32bit
libGLU1-32bit

For the build environment on a 64 bit machine you need to install not only the 32bit development packages, but also some of the 64bit version of the same package.
Again the same packages should work on a 32bit openSUSE system: just remove the -32bit for any that don't have a duplicate name.

BUILD ENVIRONMENT 64bit

gcc-c++-32bit (64bit OS) ( installs gcc-c++ )

Mesa-devel (Both 32/64) ( installs libX11-devel )
Mesa-devel-32bit (64bit OS)

libX11-devel-32bit 64bit OS)

freetype2-devel-32bit (64bit OS)
freetype2-devel (Both 32/64)

libXpm-devel-32bit (64bit OS)
libXpm-devel (Both 32/64)
libXxf86vm-devel-32bit (64bit OS)
libXft-devel-32bit (64bit OS)

freeglut-devel [/b](Both 32/64)[/b]

glu-devel-32bit (64bit OS)
glu-devel (Both 32/64)

openal-soft-devel (Both 32/64) ( is it needed ? )
NOTE: Install libopenal0-32bit if no sound. ( 64bitOS )

alsa-devel (Both 32/64)
alsa-devel-32bit (64bit OS)
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit (64 OS)

libpulse-devel ( Both 32/64 )
NOTE: Install libpulse0-32bit if no sound. ( 64bit OS )

NO PULSE-SIMPLE in lib on 64bit openSUSE. HAVE TO MAKE A LINK TO /usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so.0 /usr/lib/libpulse-simple.so

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#2]
I have BlitzMax running on openSUSE, but the machines are big, multi-core rack-mounted servers, so there's never been a problem with display drivers :-)

Don't have a list of the things I installed though, as I generally just keep adding them til it's all working - which doesn't take too long.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#3]
but the machines are big, multi-core rack-mounted servers, so there's never been a problem with display drivers :-)

Nice for some ;-)

I may try again later with the nvidia driver install and see if adding my self to the nvida group works.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#4]
Even on ubuntu I always installed the binary-blob (the nvidia*.run-file). The only problem I had then was the missing ability to "uninstall" (got errors when trying).
I never had to add a special nvidia-group, never thought of being needed somehow (nvidia blob just needs sudo to get the kernel things installed)

@rack-mounted servers
I have hefty multicore server under my desk... ah wait, it is not only serving pages, it is also serving virtual box instances and it is connected to a real screen and keyboard/mouse... ahh wait, it is a normal desktop with ssh and an apache2 enabled.
So Brucey...stop making us envy :D

bye
Ron