Unity even worse in Raring 13.04

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Unity even worse in Raring 13.04

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#1]
WARNING: OBSERVATIONS AHEAD!

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) and noticed that Unity has gotten even more hideous than I thought possible. Just look at that disgusting, undistinguished, horribly designed launcher icon! That button reminds me of the first time I saw that big ugly green button in Windows XP! The rest of the UI is just as horrible as Vista!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
You call that a rant?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#3]
You call that a rant?

what else would you call it?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Its barely a whimper. You should see some of my expletive-ridden musings from days gone by (not here, obviously).

*(Posted 2013) [#5]
trust GfK to comment about another users rantings LOL :)

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#6]
what else would you call it?

It is an observation, not a rant.

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#7]
Hah, kids these days. In my day t'weren't a rant unless six Tyrannosaurs came knocking at three a.m. to complain about the rumbling from me monitor causing cracks in t'road outside.

Both ways!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#8]
My response to Unity 13.04:

JustLuke(Posted 2013) [#9]
It's okay, is Ubuntu - and 13.04 is the best version yet. I actually like the Unity interface because it's got a lovely feel to it. But for Linux installations, elementary OS is far and the way the best, I think.

But, yeah, it's still Linux, which isn't saying much.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#10]
linux is supposed to be customizable, and unity is not customizable. In the above screenshot, I have installed Cinnamon, a Win7 start menu applet, an "Ambience Minty" theme, and a window theme called "numix". Makes Raring look more "sexy" IMO. :D

Raven67854(Posted 2013) [#11]
Linux is customizable. If it wasn't how would you of been able to so easily swap unity for cinnamon?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#12]
@Raven:
Technically, I haven't swapped unity for anything. I have simply installed Cinnamon beside Unity. Best keeping it just in case I need to support it later. :D

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#13]
Making Linux look like Windows is "sexy" ?

Wiebo(Posted 2013) [#14]
I like the new interface.. Using it right now as a matter a fact. Now, to get Open AL working with Blitzmax.. I cannot compile a damned thing at this moment.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#15]
Making Linux look like Windows is "sexy" ?

well, no, but it's better than Unity. I uninstalled cinnamon this morning and replaced with "apt-get install gnome-panel" (before Unity).

Devlin(Posted 2013) [#16]
I've not had a problem with it so far past my build issues in Max(64bit ver) I wouldn't say it's too bad.. yet.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#17]
I cannot compile a damned thing at this moment.

yep. :(

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#18]
Unity DT sucks!!

I like gnome 3 (it is similar to unity but nowhere near as idiotic), I prefer cinnamon though.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#19]
I like gnome 3 (it is similar to unity but nowhere near as idiotic)

are you serious? Gnome3 is just bad.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#20]
Gnome3 is just bad.
Well Mr Wicker I think you should just stick to using Linux Mint with Mate UI. Which if I remember uses a fork of GNOME 2, while CINNAMON use a fork of GNOME 3.
And I can just about remember that when GNOME 2 came out, it got the same criticism as GNOME 3. It took the GNOME team a few years to get GNOME 2 to the point that every one stopped b*tching about it and start believing it was the second coming and the saviour of the Linux universe. There's one constant throughout the world and that is that developers hate having to go back to their old code to make it work on a newer OS or GUI.
Though I believe that no matter what the Ubuntu developers do with Unity, it still will be the biggest load of crap to ever grace a computer screen. But unfortunately Canonical have the same blinkered mentality as Microsoft and believe that people will buy into it as they are the ones with dominate share and the dictator attitude.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#21]
are you serious? Gnome3 is just bad.
That is like saying a reasonably nice building is as bad as a lesser decrepit building simply because it has similar paintwork.