Segmentation fault everywhere!

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Segmentation fault everywhere!

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#1]
So today I decided to try Ubuntu 12.04... installed (32 bits), downloaded blitzmax - and hey! After downloading a bunch of dependencies I can compile...

...but that's it. When I run any bmax sample, the blitzmax windows pops up for a second, then it quits. Console shows:

"Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

and nothing more. Even games I've made, that runs on Ubuntu *8*, running from terminal gives the exact same error, and nothing else.

If it helps anything at all:

sudo lshw -c video
PCI (sysfs)  
SCSI                      
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@...
       version: 02
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:fdf00000-fdf7ffff ioport:ff00(size=8) memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fdf80000-fdfbffff

glxinfo | grep -i "vendor\|rendering"
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.

Now the strangest thing: a simple code like this works!

Graphics 800,600,0

While Not AppTerminate() Or KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)
   Cls
   Flip
Wend

Now, If I try just a "loadimage/drawimage" on the sample above, I've got the segmentation fault again. Same if trying only drawtext....

Can anyone share a light????

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#2]
Humpft. Apparently that "display unclaimed" means I'm using a VESA driver??

I tried installing a Intel driver, and now Linux won't boot anymore. Oh, jooooooy....

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#3]
Welcome to Linux..lol

I can speak a little about segmentation fault errors. I found that using superstrict and defining every variable (myvar:Int) with INT, Float, etc, helped to stop segmentation errors. You really seem to have to define each and every variable. It got my code working.

On the video driver I had to really do a lot of trial and error to find the right script to work. It can be really tough to get a driver to support your video card.

Linux Newbie,
- Rich -

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#4]
It's not a problem with Superstrict, since nothing works. And games that works on Ubuntu 8, no recompilation, nothing - fails the same way on this installation.

Apparently the problem is the Intel graphics driver - Ubuntu doesn't recognize the chip and it's using a VESA driver.

There's a pretty big thread over here about this, but unfotunately the solution presented didn't work for me :(

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#5]
Just if anyone gets the same problem: I didn't exactly fixed - but I installed a better VESA driver (from 'ppa') which at least let me see my games running (very slowly, but running).

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#6]
And the moral of this story kiddies is that cheap laptop or desktop may sound like a bargain, but some where you will pay the price for it. Stay way from anything that uses an intel graphics chip set as they are crap and always will be no matter what intel say and do.

*(Posted 2013) [#7]
Strangely enough I got a segmentation fault on my laptop when using a res that wasnt the same as the desktop (on my asus its 800x640) if I use anything other than that it dies. Im usiing Ubuntu 12.10 :)