VPS Headless Server

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/VPS Headless Server

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I'm going to setup a server to run on a VPS host. It needs to be a headless server so no GUI front end as I understand it. Does anyone have any 'tips' on setting up a server app to run on a Linux VPS host?

I could use some advice.

Thanks,
- Rich -

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#2]
I'm not going to be much help with this one as I've never set or used or needed any thing like this. But I did find this on setting up a debian VPS. And this may be of interest to you.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi,

I'll check them out. I'm in the dark on all of this and any help is welcome.

I want to know how to setup my BlitzMax application (server) to run on a VPS host and really have no clue on whats required. There are quite a few low cost VPS host out there and it just makes sense to rent a box to run my server.

- Rich -

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hi Richard it may be worth your while posting this in the general help section rather than here in the Linux dungeon section as the maybe more of a chance of some seeing it.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#5]
rather than here in the Linux dungeon section

My favorite quote of the day!

I guess I might. I was thinking it's a Linux issue as most/all VPS host use some version of Linux and not Windows. I will, I think post it there in a couple days.

- Rich -

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#6]
I've run BlitzMax stuff on an Ubuntu server (hosted by linode.com at about $20 a month -- they have great set-up tutorials, and they've been very responsive on the rare occasions when I've contacted them). I've currently got Monkey sitting on mine to build HTML5 programs I send it via a web form, and it works great!

Anyway, you basically don't want to be using anything that touches graphics or X (so that includes windows, mouse clicks, etc). As long as you stick to non-graphical stuff then you should be OK. (You can use Print to output to the console of course.)

Unfortunately, there are some non-obvious accesses to X, etc, in places like brl.system, so to use anything out of there I just copied and pasted the functions into my own program.

Brucey put together this cool module for rendering to pixmaps (since they're just held in normal memory), which I've also used on the headless Linode server...

Rendering using OSMesa.

You don't need to do anything special to have a program run on a headless server (provided you're not touching X/graphics), you just run it as you normally would on Linux.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#7]
Right on James,

I'll check those links out and thats exactly what I need to know, :D

You Rock,
- Rich -

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#8]
Ha ha... just ask here or via email if you need anything specific anyway. I'm certainly no expert but I'm getting by!