Games run too fast?

Archives Forums/BlitzPlus Bug Reports/Games run too fast?

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#1]
Not sure if this is a bug or what? Half of the example games for BlitzPlus run way too fast. This reminds me of how many old dos games would not play nice on faster hardware. The machine I'm on is an old Alienware. A nice rig even if considered dated by modern standards. Any ideas?

Xp Pro SP2
3.8 Ghz singe core.
1 gig memory.

Last edited 2012

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#2]
Try adding this to each example: CreateTimer() & WaitTimer()

Suggested frequency of 60 hertz (for 60 FPS).

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#3]
The games don't run too fast. Some games simply do not use any timing mechanism and thus run at the speed your computer allows. Very simple to add your own timing to any of the examples that need them. There are plenty that have example timing methods that should help you out.

You could also set your graphics driver to lock the framerate or do it in your directX settings.

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks I figured the issue was programming related. I just rolled back my video card drivers before I installed Blitzplus and hoped that was not the cause.

misth(Posted 2013) [#5]
The reason your game ran too fast is related to vertical sync.

If your graphics card - or w/e declares screen update methods - uses VSync, then the FPS (Frames Per Second) in most applications is limited to your display's refresh rate (for example in HD displays, refresh rate is usually 60 hertz), if not, the screen is updated without waiting for vertical blank to finish.