Dx9: Drawpixmap fails with older hardware?

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Dx9: Drawpixmap fails with older hardware?

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi!

I have problem with drawing pixmaps on my Dad's laptop. This has a built-in Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip. As long as I use an OpenGL driver pixmaps are displayed fine, but the Dx9 driver is somewhat broken (see Image below). On newer hardware, like my ATI 6850 card, everything runs as it should.

Image:

In order to track this issue down, I have created this simple example code:

Download (source, media and two exe):
http://www.mediafire.com/?h9zk24075y8lyvd

Could someone please confirm this behaviour? Just to be sure that it's not a software issue.

Grisu

P.S. OS: WinXP SP3, latest driver installed.

col(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hiya,

According to the specs, that gpu doesnt support hardware processing, only software, so my initial suspicions are its something to do with the drivers.

Maybe not what you want to hear, and a bit of a long shot but have you tried updating directx on the offending machine.

BMax Dx9 does work with software processing, but it's up to the driver to give accurate information, and its still the drivers responsibility to work with Dx9 correctly and visa-versa. The driver ( not the application ) and Dx9 still takes care of the gpu side of things whether its software or hardware processed.

Edit:- Does it work ok with Dx7?

Last edited 2012

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#3]
I already updated all drivers as best as possible.

Dx7 displays the pixmaps fine.

It's strange, that the pixmaps do work under Dx9 if put on a panel though.
I would have guessed that this should cause problems as well.

Would be nice to know if other older integrated gfx cards have the same issues.

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#4]
Would be nice to know if other older integrated gfx cards have the same issues.
A lot of them do not fully support DX9.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
Instead of using DrawPixmap, have you tried this?:

myImage:TImage = LoadImage(myPixmap)
DrawImage myImage

Haven't looked into how DrawPixmap, works but this may be worth a shot. Or is there some specific reason you want to use DrawPixmap?

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#6]
Drawimage works flawlessly. Thus I have recoded my drawing routines. On top I readded an OpenGL "failsafe option" for proper disaster management. ;)

Thanks!

|edit| Resizing images gets blurry results. I'll stick with the pixmaps as they have a much sharper output. :(

Last edited 2012

col(Posted 2012) [#7]

I'll stick with the pixmaps as they have a much sharper output. :(

There are flag options in the LoadImage command to turn off the filtering, try setting it to 0:
myImage:TImage = LoadImage(myPixmap,0)

or
myImage:TImage = LoadImage(myPixmap,MASKEDIMAGE)

Last edited 2012

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#8]
"Null" or "0" didn't have an effect. But after some more testing yesterday, I explored another workaround.

So everything is fine. All runs smoothly even on the oldest hardware I could find. ;)