Compile error using 1.4.8 on Mac OS X 10.8

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Compile error using 1.4.8 on Mac OS X 10.8

matt!(Posted 2012) [#1]
Trying to build a game using 1.4.8 on Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and Xcode 4.4 results in:

"Compile error"

Ouput:

After deleting my settings and building for release, I get:
Building Wire Hang Redux
Unable to create Info.plist
Process complete

And when building debug, I get:
Building Wire Hang Redux
Compiling:bbtype.bmx
Compiling:bbvkey.bmx
Compiling:Wire Hang Redux.bmx
Linking:Wire Hang Redux.debug
ld: library not found for -lcrt1.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /Volumes/Macintosh HD/matt/Documents/BlitzMax/Wire Hang/Wire Hang Redux.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/Wire Hang Redux.debug
Process complete

Last edited 2012

MacSven(Posted 2012) [#2]
I have the same problem under MacOS X 10.7.4 and xcode 4.4

jkrankie(Posted 2012) [#3]
Same here.

Cheers
Charlie

Nigel Brown(Posted 2012) [#4]
same here also?

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#5]
...and here!

EDIT:
I've managed to fix this! XCode 4.4 does not provide the MacOSX10.6.sdk

Reveal the XCode 4.3 from your TimeMachine or download it from apple.developer, copy the SDK from "Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" to "/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" and BlitzMax will work again.

@Mark Sibly:
Isn't it time to upgrade to 10.7 SDK or at least 10.8 SDK?

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#6]
Great, got to download an older version of XCode now to get the 10.6 SDK out of it. :/

GfK(Posted 2012) [#7]
....and I still get all the same errors!

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#8]
Did you copy the SDK to the right place? It needs to be on root, beside "Library", "System" ...
Misspelled path?
Do you use the bmk from BlitzMax 1.48? The path is a static variable in bmk_util.bmx (lines 154 and 273)!

(Okay, this are questions for noobs, but it can happen to every one.)

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#9]
I don't even have a root/Developer/SDKs folder.

I have root/Developer/ with Applications and Platforms subfolders.

I have root/SDKs/ which already has a MacOSX10.6.sdk in it.

[edit] After doing a lot of reading on the subject it appears that MacOSX10.6.sdk is no longer officially supported anyway, so even I did get this to work, there's nothing to say a future OS update wouldn't kill it again. I think the real solution like you say is to update Blitzmax to 10.7 or 10.8 SDK.

Last edited 2012

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#10]
It wasn't on my system too, but I've created it. It's the old path to the SDKs in XCode versions prior 4.3.

Now you have to temporary solutions for your problem:

1. Create the root/Developer/SDKs directory and copy MacOSX10.6.sdk into it
2. Add root/SDKs to the bmk_util.bmx path constants and recompile it.

It's like you've said, Apple does only provide support for the present and last major release SDK which is MacOSX10.7.sdk. I have no hope in updates of BlitzMax in the near future. At least some months where past until Mark fixed all bugs after Lion was released. If 10.9 will be released, we will have the same trouble again.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#11]
Still a bit confused on point 2 above:

In Function CompileC() I have this:
	If macos_version>=$1070		'Lion?

Const p1$="/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk"
		Const p2$="/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk"

...and I have the same paths further down the same file, in Function LinkApp().

I haven't modified anything - that's how it already was so don't see the point in recompiling (not that I can compile anything anyway).

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#12]
Ergs, sorry didn't thought enough! Solution two is not possible until you can compile... -.-

Didn't you say, that you have root/SDKs and root/Developer directories but no root/Developer/SDKs directory? Why not just copy the SDK from root/SDKs to root/Developer/SDKs? This should do the trick! Or have you done this and it does not work?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#13]
Well... it's compiling modules now - purely by using the existing version of MacOSX10.6.SDK that was already in root/SDKs instead of the one I grabbed out of XCode 4.3....

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#14]
SUCCESS! I copied MacOSX10.6.SDK from root/SDKs to root/Developer/SDKs (after creating the directory), and it all works fine now.

If anybody else is having this level of trouble, I'd use the 10.6 SDK from root/SDKs (which I didn't even know existed til this morning) instead of using any other version. Save yourselves hours of hair-pulling and swearing.

Thanks for the help!

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#15]
Glad to help you! For some unknown reason, the root/SDKs directory doesn't exist here! I needed to get a older Version of XCode from somewhere to copy the SDK out of it! In my case from TimeMachine! Therefore I've suggested it in my initial post.

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#16]
...double-post...

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#17]
It might be because I upgraded from Lion rather than doing a clean install like I wanted to, but couldn't because the Mountain Lion image needs a dual layer DVD or 8GB bootable USB stick (neither of which I have) *grumble*.

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#18]
Hi,

There's a fix coming for this very soon that'll mean you no longer need the 10.6 SDK.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#19]
\o/

d-bug(Posted 2012) [#20]
Very good news! Thank you!

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#21]
See.... I told ya (in a different thread) that I knew this was going to be fixed as soon as possible. But still, thanks a lot for taking our trouble away, Mark ;)

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#22]
Hi,

Ok, v1.49 for macos is now up!

This removes the dependancy on the 10.6 SDK, which no longer ships with xcode 4.4.

Note: Xcode 4.4 no longer installs 'command line tools' by default. You will need to do this manually via preferences->downloads.

Note 2: In Mountain Lion, you will need to change security settings in order to install something not obtained via app store - eek! Not sure I like where that is going...

Does it work?

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#23]
Note 2: In Mountain Lion, you will need to change security settings in order to install something not obtained via app store - eek! Not sure I like where that is going...

In my opinion it's no more than a more zealous version of UAC, and we all got used to that (simply by turning it off) - at least ML warns you and you CAN turn that particular security measure off, too, so to me it's no biggie really. Unless it ever reaches a point where they won't let you turn it off but then from a developer perspective that'd signify the death of the Mac as a development platform. Moving on...

Does it work?
Certainly seems to! Undid all the hacky installs of the 10.6 SDK, and a simple "hello world" compiles and runs perfectly, also I'm able to build modules.

...and they say Blitzmax is dead! Thanks (for the update, and for proving them wrong, if it were needed).

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#24]

I don't like that at all. Of course they say it prevents virusses and trojan horses. If they really believe they can outsmart malicious coders with that they are first class dreamers. I was already afraid Apple would make this step as on iOS you can solely install from App Store (which was for me the sole reason to buy and Android tablet instead of an iPad).

If Apple would really make the horrible mistake of only allowing downloads per App Store, I'm afraid Apple and I have to go separate ways. And I really fear that Apple is seriously considering it.

If you ask me they abuse the fact malicious software exists to kill the open source 'market'. Bad move, Apple.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#25]
All they are trying is kill the "shame on you for not giving us a 30% cut"-market.

Last edited 2012

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#26]
Does it work?

Compiling brl and pub modules - Works
Compiling Brucey's volumes module - Works
Compiling my own modules - Works
Compiling and running my latest project - Works

Does that answer the question, Mark?

(EDIT: fixed a spelling error)

Last edited 2012

AarbronBeast(Posted 2012) [#27]
Works great! Thanks Mark, for staying on top of it!

Gary Leeds(Posted 2012) [#28]
For those worried about turning off the apple security on unlicenced programs, all you have to do is open each program while holding down the CTRL key. This then teaches OSX that you want to allow this program to run. Run monkey, ted and

Personally I don't mind this sort of protection, as has been said its nothing worse than UAC on windows

Last edited 2012

matt!(Posted 2012) [#29]
> Note 2: In Mountain Lion, you will need to change security settings in order
> to install something not obtained via app store - eek!

Mark could sign Blitz with a DeveloperID to bypass this oddity.
https://developer.apple.com/resources/developer-id/

Also, rather than changing security preferences every time, you can just right click and choose open on any "unsigned" app.

Anyway, thanks for the update!

Last edited 2012

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#30]
thank you for this thread. I had a similar problem today, and this showed me the solution...

I have a Mac Mini OsX10.5 and I updated it to OsX10.6. After this BlitzMax 1.48 did not work anymore.

The reason was the missing Xcode and the SDKs for OsX10.6. But on my installation DVD there was the Xcode 3.2 Installer and after installed this BlitzMax seems to work now. Now inside the folder "root/Developer/SDKs" there is a folder "MacOsX10.6.SDK".

Now a question:
There is a XCode 4.2, which is able to run on OsX10.6. But in the AppleStore I can only download "Xcode 4.2 for Lion". But my Mac Mini is to small for Lion.

Does anybody have an idea, where to get the "XCode 4.2 for OsX"?

The reason, why I want to get XCode4.2 is my Monkey: My final target is to convert my android apps to IOs and offer it in Apple IStore.

How should I proceed?

d-bug(Posted 2013) [#31]
You can’t download previous version of Xcode from Mac App Store. But if you have registered an Apple Developer account, Apple allows you to download Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard through its iOS developer website.

Simply go to https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action and login with your developer account. You can find the download link of Xcode 4.2 in the “Downloads” section.

Or go to https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action and login. You can find it in the "Additional Downloads" section.

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#32]
thank you d-bug.

I'm a registered developer of OsX, but not yet of IOs. Means, that I did not yet pay the 100,oo$ for pushing my apps to the Apple Store.

Are you sure, that I'm allowed to enter this "Additional Downloads". I cannot find a link at the given page...

I see "Resources for iOS 6" and there the subtitle "Downloads". When I follow this link and then follow "older versions of XCode", there is no Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard"

The only thing I can find is "XCode 3.2.5 and Ios SDK 4.2". Is it that, what I need?

d-bug(Posted 2013) [#33]
Xcode 4.2 is only available to registered developers with paid accounts. Without a paid account, 3.2.6 is the latest download that appears for Snow Leopard. I've found it in https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action The link in the "Additional Downloads" section is called "View all Downloads" and it is at the bottom-right of the section.

I think there is no chance for you to get 4.2 for Snow Leopard until you've start to pay for nothing. :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#34]
@Midimaster:
if you upgrade to Mountain Lion, the latest Xcode is available in the Mac App Store. Really, what is $20? ;)

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#35]
my problem is, that my mac mini has only 1GB and Lion needs 2GB. And buying additional RAM for mac mini is needs more than opening the case...