1.45 down to 1.42b under Snow Leopard not compilin

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/1.45 down to 1.42b under Snow Leopard not compilin

Vampyre(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi guys,

I reinstalled a fresh system on my mac, and installed Snow Leopard on my iMac 27". I installed XCode (4.2) for Snow Leopard straight away, followed by the latest version of Blitzmax (1.45).

After installation, I launched Blitzmax and it asked to compile the documentation. That build worked flawlessly. After that I write a simple code to test it's working properly, and I have this error : sh: as: command not found

Well, I didn't stopped there, and tried to compile an example. Here is the complete error message.

Building breakout
Compiling:breakout.bmx
sh: as: command not found
Build Error: Failed to assemble /Applications/BlitzMax/samples/breakout/.bmx/breakout.bmx.gui.debug.macos.x86.s
Process complete

When I look closer to this error, I see something really weird, for which I'm not sure how to solve. Look carefully the path, and you'll notice that the assembler tries to search for a folder called .bmx/

To my opinion, the path is wrong. It should be something like :
/Applications/BlitzMax/samples/breakout.bmx/breakout.bmx.gui.debug.macos.x86.s without trailing slash, as there is no /breakout/.bmx, but I do have a file named breakout.bmx

Do you know guys how I should correct this path ? I've searched the options but was not able to find one.

Thanks for any input on this one :-)

Edit : I tried to install every version down to the one before the Lion patch, but with no luck. I think that's a variable I should set, but what and where ? Thanks for your help :-)

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Rebuild modules should sort it.

Vampyre(Posted 2011) [#3]
Well, I can't rebuild the modules.

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
sh: gcc: command not found
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

GCC is installed (Xcode compiles without any problems), but it seems Blitzmax do not find it. I found different GCC folders on the mac :

- /Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/include/gcc
- /Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/lib/gcc
- /Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/include/gcc
- /Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/libexec/gcc
- /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/libexec/gcc
and it goes like this with 7 other folders.

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#4]
Here are a couple of previous threads on what I think is the same issue.

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=96152#1111648
which ends up linking to
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=96562

Vampyre(Posted 2011) [#5]
I'm still unable to make it work...

- Tried the tricks in both posts, but I still have the error, and cannot find GCC.
- Tried to install GCC but didn't got it to work, still the same error.

I will upgrade now to Lion, and see what it says, but it seems that XCode 4.2 do not ship anymore GCC. It is shipped with LLVM version of GCC. I guess that until Blitzmax do not compile with LLVM, it will be difficult to have everything working (as well as the fullscreen)...

Shame... I hope it will be fixed...

Blueapples(Posted 2011) [#6]
I believe xcode does still ship with GCC... I'm on Lion I haven't had any issues with the compiler. If I recall correctly, clang is the default system compiler without xcode, and LLVM is used by xcode by default, but gcc still ships with it.

Vampyre(Posted 2011) [#7]
That's funny... I've upgraded from Snow to Lion, and it works now flawlessly...

I guess there is some kind of incompatibility with the combinations : Blitzmax / Snow Leopard / Xcode 4.2

At least I can now compile without problem ! Thanks !