Incbin not working?

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Incbin not working?

Nigel Brown(Posted 2011) [#1]
I have used this code snippet in my programs for a long time but only just noticed its stopped working. Any ideas?

Strict
Incbin "version.txt"
DebugLog "version = " + String.FromBytes(IncbinPtr("incbin::version.txt"),IncbinLen("incbin::version.txt"))

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#2]
It seems to me that IncbinLen is failing -- it always returns zero. I've just tried your example with a small text file, and tried it on a version of RockOut, where IncbinLen still returns zero despite the Incbin'd player image working.

Looks like a bug to me!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#3]
Incbin "version.txt"
DebugLog IncbinLen("incbin::version.txt")
DebugLog Int (IncbinPtr("incbin::version.txt"))
DebugLog "version = " + String.FromBytes(IncbinPtr("incbin::version.txt"),IncbinLen("incbin::version.txt"))

' *** This shows it was loaded OK...
DebugLog LoadText ("incbin::version.txt")

IncbinPtr returns zero too. Both appear to depend on a call to the find function in blitz_incbin.c, so perhaps something's wrong there?

(I still don't get how the loading functions that depend on this stuff can be working though!)

TomToad(Posted 2011) [#4]
Remove incbin:: from the string

Incbin "version.txt"
DebugLog IncbinLen("version.txt")
DebugLog Int (IncbinPtr("version.txt"))
DebugLog "version = " + String.FromBytes(IncbinPtr("version.txt"),IncbinLen("version.txt"))

' *** This shows it was loaded OK...
DebugLog LoadText ("incbin::version.txt")

Spent 1/2 hour putting printf statements in the source before tracking this down. Could've solved it with 5 seconds from looking at the sample in the docs :D

Last edited 2011

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#5]
Ah, right enough... I always think of Incbin'd filename access as being preceded by "incbin::"... I guess we can close this one then.