Major MaxIDE bug in Mac OS

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Major MaxIDE bug in Mac OS

William Drescher(Posted 2011) [#1]
Okay, so I'm not sure if this should go in this board really but here it goes anyway.

I've got the Mac OS Lion developer preview and MaxIDE crashes before it even gets past the splash screen.

Error (running MaxIDE from command line):

MaxIDE[4231:307] *** Assertion failure in -[Toolbar _itemAtIndex:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1127.1/Toolbar.subproj/NSToolbar.m:1263
MaxIDE[4231:307] Invalid parameter not satisfying: index>=0 && index<[self _numberOfItems]
Terminated: 15

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#2]
Are you building with latest icon png? (has extra green button at end)

Last edited 2011

William Drescher(Posted 2011) [#3]
It's already pre-built, this is my existing installation of MaxIDE that is downloaded off of the site.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#4]
Will test with Lion this week and post a fix.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#5]
I have uplodaded a stab in the dark release that may fix the issue for Lion users here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/maxgui/files/maxide.debug.app/download

William Drescher(Posted 2011) [#6]
Well oddly enough, it comes up with the error that the "Classic environment is no longer supported."

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#7]
Ouch.

Good to know, I'm postponing the update because I was expecting something like that to happen.

Just hope the 'normal' bmax code, to create the window and run openGL doesn't get obsolete too.. having to re-code and recompile everything for Mac won't be any fun :(

William Drescher(Posted 2011) [#8]
No what I think will happen is after the Beta has been finished the issues with the toolbar will be fixed. I think the issue is mainly to do with Apple recoding the toolbar system to accompany the new "Fullscreen" button on the far right so that the hide and show toolbar button will either be moved or no longer used.

So only a small bit of code on the MaxGUI end will need to be changed and that should probably fix the problem.

Last edited 2011

William Drescher(Posted 2011) [#9]
Okay so I'm wondering if there has been any progress on a fix for this bug. As I can tell from the downloaded demo, the Monk IDE shares the same problem with Lion as MaxIDE.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#10]
I'm also waiting for some news about this...

Wilkua: have you tried any blitzmax game (not using maxgui) and could tell if they run properly?

I'm finishing up a game, and I'm worried it will have problems in the mac appstore: not having that 'fullscreen button' on the window being just a small sample of that.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#11]
I'm keen on starting development with Lion, but waiting for this before I install it again.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#12]
1 month since original post and no updates???
I guess only Monkey gets all the attention now... =(

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#13]
Have you tried the OSX Lion Gold Master? I guess that was released a few days ago. I have no installed it yet, so i don't know if it resolves this problem.

Last edited 2011

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#14]
Yep, same problem on the latest prerelease. The real thing will be in the Mac App Store in four days.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#15]
...and Apple is already demanding the Apps to be Lion-compatible!

How can I test it, if I can't even get the IDE to run...? This is *really* serious :(
(Even more that I'm about to release a new game... *sight*)

Last edited 2011

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#16]
Hi,

Ok, I've got MaxIDE running on Lion now, but there are some other problems...

For some reason, apps built on Lion that try and go into fullscreen are causing an 'invalid fullscreen drawable' runtime error, and I've no idea why.

Build the same app on another version of OS X, and it's all sweet, even when run on Lion.

Will keep plugging away...

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#17]
So stuff built pre-Lion is working on Lion? Even on fullscreen?
That's great to hear :)

Blueapples(Posted 2011) [#18]
Can I get a copy of that IDE? I'd kind of like to keep working on my game. :(

William Drescher(Posted 2011) [#19]
My work around for the IDE issue was to use CollIDE (check the toolbox) which is written in Java and runs on all platforms. Apps written without MaxGUI and that don't invoke fullscreen mode (thanks to marksibly for finding that out) will run fine as long as you can compile them.

Also, by default windows do not have the fullscreen button in the top right corner.

Edit: CollIDE is in German but it's open source and I've converted most of it into english to a point where it is at least usable for basic code editing and compiling if anyone would require this to be uploaded I would be happy to upload the JAR file.

Last edited 2011

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#20]
Hi,

The new IDE isn't much use with the fullscreen bug still in there, unless you're not using fullscreen I guess, but even then I'd still consider building on Lion to be less than 'solid' right now.

I have found one workaround for the fullscreen bug, and that's to use the 10.6 sdk when building on Lion. If all else fails I'll resort to that, but I'd rather find out what's really going on!

For now, please continue to build stuff on 10.6 - it should run fine on Lion.

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#21]
Lion was released today.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#22]
Is this something to do with the new fullscreen app witchcraft added into 10.7?

puredave(Posted 2011) [#23]
I ended up setting up my Mac to triple boot (lion, snow leopard and windows) so I could keep working. If anybody else tries this let me give u a heads up on a couple of things:

If u already have windows setup via boot camp, it will break. Get what u need backed up first cause u will need to completely reinstall it

Bootcamp assistant won't work if u try to triple boot the Mac, u will have to set up windows using rEFIt instead (then install boot camp drivers afterwards from your os x disc)

If u don't need windows on your Mac just dual boot lion and snow leopard and use snow leopard to keep working in blitzmax.

In either case don't forget to install Xcode on your fresh snow leopard install

Last edited 2011

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#24]
Hi,

Lion update is now available! See programming forum for more info...

Fredor(Posted 2011) [#25]
Sounds great. Thanks Mark fo your quick support.

C64Retro(Posted 2011) [#26]
Just FYI, I seem to be getting a problem when compiling a program. Even just a "hello world" print one:

Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
sh: as: command not found
Build Error: Failed to assemble /Users/bozretro/BlitzMax/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.gui.debug.mt.macos.x86.s
Process complete

Any thoughts?

Boz.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#27]
As I said elsewhere, you need to install XCode 4.