No command-tab on fullscreen on MacOS!

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/No command-tab on fullscreen on MacOS!

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#1]
The title pretty much says it all. Command-tab is the equivalent to ALT-TAB on Windows. There's also F9 (or F3 and even fn+F3) that should bring the Exposé (some sort of ALT+TAB panel) - but neither works on fullscreen.

See this topic: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=93712#1072896

sample code:
Graphics 800,600,32

While Not KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)
   Cls
   DrawText "You can't leave this screen until you press ESC!",10,10
   Flip
Wend

End

Also, command-Q should trigger an AppTerminate event - but it isn't doing so on fullscreen. On the topic I mention above I posted a dirty hack to do it... but it isn't the best solution.

All of these are (apparently) requirements on the Mac AppStore - so they are very much needed now!

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#2]
Nope - you can cmd-tab in some fullscreen games. Also, command-m doesn't work, even on windowed mode (it should minimize the window/screen)

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#3]
[oops mistakenly removed my post above]

If you can cmd-tab then the game is probably using a borderless full size desktop window which is Apple's recommended method of implementing full screen these days, BlitzMax should possibly follow suit.

Last edited 2011

John G(Posted 2011) [#4]
@ skidracer (et. al.)

Not focusing on the Mac App Store for now, but trying to use a MaxGUI windowed front end combined with traditional Full Screen for the actual game simulations.

o Isn't traditional Full Screen usually faster than a borderless window?
o For MS Wisdows 7 is my (above) approach still appropriate?

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#5]
Traditionally full screen exclusive was both way faster and only way to stay in sync with vertical blank as well as overriding desktop resolution.

Nowadays, speed penalty of copy buffer vs hardware flipping is very small, MacOS 10.6 and Windows 7 I think respect vertical blank better and running LCD panels at non-native resolutions is just plain ugly.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#6]
As I posted on the other thread, Apple's new guideline for 'fullscreen applications' is essentially to make a bordless window that covers the hole screen:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#DOCUMENTATION/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/OpenGL-MacProgGuide/opengl_fullscreen/opengl_cgl.html

They even say: "This mechanism is also more compatible with the rest of the operating system, in that it allows critical operating system dialogs to appear over your content when necessary."

Maybe the hole method to create a fullscreen window should be replaced then?

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#7]
I hope it's not replaced, but just a different option (windowed full-screen) otherwise it'll break my Framework and other people's games.

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hi all,
Use a window with the same desktop size is a good solution to emulate a fullscreen mode, but... how we can avoid that the mac's dock appears over it?
Is there any function to hide the dock?
Excuse my english.

Best regards.

Last edited 2011