Exception Access Violation on fresh install.

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Exception Access Violation on fresh install.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm flagging this as a potential bug as, after a fresh XP installation, it's still an issue. I've got an (ageing) Inspiron so if I'm seeing this then its possible that it might affect a number of machines out in the wild.

I've left the example files on-line so knock yourself out.

John G(Posted 2010) [#2]
I'm now getting some Exception Access Violations. Also have an older (2004) Dell Inspiron with a 1.5 GHz Celeron, ~512 MB RAM, Intel Graphics and WinXP SP3. I tried purging all BlitzMax versions and reinstalling BMX 1.40 and then BMX 1.36. Suspect my Register files corrupted. Still hope to offer WinXP.

markcw(Posted 2010) [#3]
It might be related to this.
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=85843#972724

Try an older version of Bmx like v 1.34 to see if it works then.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#4]
I'll explore that when I get chance but I'm not using MaxGUI at all.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#5]
1.34 builds quit out at the same point but without any error message whatsoever. However, different builds = different behaviour. I'm now thinking this may well be a problem with BMax.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#6]
I'll explore that when I get chance but I'm not using MaxGUI at all.
The file and directory requesters are part of the core of BM itself (Brl.System), so there "may" (don't know, haven't read it) be info in that thread which could help you as MaxGUI "should" be using the same functions you are.

Have you tried writing your own routine to access the OpenFileDialog API directly? With the problem you are experiencing, this would be my #1 choice of a solution.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#7]
I already tried Josh's requester with the MaxGUI specific stuff stripped out -- original problem persists :-/

markcw(Posted 2010) [#8]
No, this is almost certainly not a bug with Bmx, it's XP.

I remember having this same bug when I had XP sp0. I used to use Corel Photopaint and when I upgraded from 98, or maybe ME, I couldn't use Photopaint any more because of this bug which was a bit of a bummer so I upgraded to sp2 and bought Photoshop Elements 7, which I'm very glad I did btw.

So what sp do you have?

Anyway, my point is that you should test a file requester in another program you know was built in DOS/9x.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#9]
SP3, although it did it with SP2 as well. Is it worth waiting for the first (free) MaxGUI zip or will that likely exhibit the same problem I wonder?

I must've used loads of 9x programs on XP over the years, this is the first time I've seen this. I'm turning it off and on again...