Windows7 Compatibility

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Windows7 Compatibility

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2010) [#1]
My "work" laptop died recently and so BlitzMax is now running on my gaming rig, which is Windows7 Professional 64bit

My first editing session went fine, I was able to debug a program and the executable created works on various windows versions correctly

The next session did not go so well, the computer was turned off between sessions if that helps

I ran the IDE and tried to debug a second program, however the IDE kept reporting "Process Complete" without displaying any output

I added Prints to see how far the program was getting and got no output from those either, so I added "DebugStop()" as the first line and still no change

The compiler was being run in debug mode

After I closed the IDE I noticed Windows7 claiming that the program ("MaxIDE") hadn't run correctly and telling me that it had activated compatibility mode on it

Since then barely any programs have compiled, citing permission errors, Windows7 has badgered me for admin confirmation on all of the programs that have compiled and then these programs have hung on the "Executing {{NAME}}" step and never completed

A search on these forums for "Windows7" has revealed 1 other relevant thread, but the issue described is not relevant because neither Blitz nor the code being worked on are in the Program Files folder

I am running build 1.39

SebHoll(Posted 2010) [#2]
Which path did you install BlitzMax to?

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2010) [#3]
C:\BlitzMax

Some more data:

This session I ran Blitz as Administrator, the issue was fixed
I then tried without and got the infinitely long execution time
Since then I've gotten permission errors both with and without

I'm going to reboot and see if the data matches up, is there anything else you want me to look for?

Edit: Testing Session 3

Seems to confirm that BlitzMax must be run as Administrator in Windows7

4 executions of MaxIDE as Administrator produced no problems
1 execution of MaxIDE without then produced an infinitely long execution time with no output
All other executions produced permission errors regardless of administrator

Do other people need to run as Administrator?

Lets see if we can figure out if its just Windows7 or if its something on my PC

Grisu(Posted 2010) [#4]
I run it as admin (Win7 x64) using C:\BlitzMax too. No problems here so far.

This excludes the "Ctrl-F" find bug reported already... ;)

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2010) [#5]
But does it work when you don't run as Admin?

Running as Admin is fine and well for home use, but it severely limits the usefulness in Schools and Offices

Mark seemed to want to attract the attention of the former last time I was around

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#6]
if you want it to run as non admin on an UAC protected windows, you must install it into the user folder because BM as all Blitz languages uses the temp folder in the application folder when you use run in the ide and that folder is a no go to write as non admin, close to independent on where you are unless you are in one of the userfolders (c:\users\<your username>\appdata or the documents folder)

marksibly(Posted 2010) [#7]
Hi,

Works fine from C:\ in user mode here, and there have been no similar reports I'm aware of.

Perhaps try uninstalling/reinstalling? Sound a bit like Windows 'activating compatibility mode' might have done more good than bad.

What program were you trying to compile?