Having trouble with v1.35 on Snow Leopard

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Having trouble with v1.35 on Snow Leopard

lotonah(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi... just finally got around to updating Blitzmax (haven't touched it in a while, unfortunately). When I go to compile previously working code, it gives me errors like this:

"___glewTexParameterIiv", referenced from:
_3 in glew.debug.macos.x86.a(glew.bmx.debug.macos.x86.o)
"___glewNamedRenderbufferStorageMultisampleEXT", referenced from:
"___glewGetUniformOffsetEXT", referenced from:
"___GLEW_EXT_texture_array", referenced from:

etc., etc. At the bottom of the whole mess, it says this:

ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /Users/lotonah/Documents/Blitz Projects/IBM_ASCII.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/IBM_ASCII.debug
Process complete

I should mention that *after* I got this error, I downloaded and installed the latest Xcode tools (3.2.1), and I'm still having the same problem. Help, please!!

LuckyPhil(Posted 2009) [#2]
After updating BlitzMax, make sure you 'Program|Rebuild all modules'.

Then try and compile your program again.

Cheers,
Phil.

lotonah(Posted 2009) [#3]
Damn, I should have remembered that. It's been awhile since that popped up. Thanks for your help, too bad I feel dumb now lol

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#4]
Hi,

Hmm...you shouldn't have to rebuild all mods.

Are you using any third party modules?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#5]
Maybe related to quickbuild?

JonasL(Posted 2009) [#6]
Updated to Snow Leopard (including latest version of Xcode) and BlitzMax 1.35. I also got this problem. Rebuilding all modules did not help. In fact, I think it fails. I got some error message telling me to contact BRL because some stream to fasm2as could not be opened. I guess it is because fasm2as is not used on Mac OS X. Perhaps this is a bug?

Rebuilding only glew.mod fixed the problem. Just in case someone who encounters the same problem is new to Mac OS X and/or BlitzMax, just open Terminal and type the following

/Applications/BlitzMax/bin/bmk makemods -a pub.glew

If this does not work you might need to install latest version of Xcode before rebuilding mods. If you have an older version of Xcode already installed, you might want to consider uninstalling it before you install the new version. Xcode has a special uninstaller that only works from the Terminal. Read the instructions for Xcode.

Jonas

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
I got some error message telling me to contact BRL because some stream to fasm2as could not be opened.

This does happen occasionally/rarely on Mac with me too.
I've as yet been unable to track it down to a specific event, but re-running the build will work the next time.

It's one of those really-hard-to-pin-down issues, but which doesn't really stop you from working :-)

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hi,

Fasm2as is used to convert the 'fasm style' x86 assembly code output by the BlitzMax compiler to 'gcc style' assembly.

This is because the fasm assembler sadly isn't available for MacOS, and nasm (which would also work) is buggy on 10.3.9, so gcc's assembler 'as' must be used.

I've never had fasm2as fail on me on the Mac, although I'm still using mainly 10.4 for Blitzmax work, so I'm not sure what's up there. Will have a closer look on 10.5.