Huge slowdown in defualt IDE

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Huge slowdown in defualt IDE

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
When editing large documents in the default IDE scrolling slows down to a crawl, even on fast computers. Just load Grey Aliens Framework for a good example.

I assume that this is a well known problem but I juts wanted to know will it ever be looked into as not everyone wants to switch\buy another IDE.

Thanks for reading,
Jason.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
The IDE that came with the official 1.30 release, or the latest SVN version?

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#3]
Latest SVN version.

Jason.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#4]
It's pretty okay for me but I did notice that on my ibook which is a 300mhz G3 processor, while smaller programs are okay, anything larger than a few screens starts to slow way down, sometimes taking several seconds every time I press a key.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#5]
This happens also on Blitz3D IDE on XP - BIG files takes ages to load, while the same files on Win98 loads in a blink. (Yeah, and I tried on 3 different machines, all with XP, slow loading - on Win98, almost instantly)

Maybe it's the way it loads the file and try to parse/color the keywords?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
Could it be because of Win32MaxGUIEx?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#7]
I think it probably is to do with the work involved in tokenizing the file and setting colors for various types of syntax, etc, cus I can use TextEdit on the same slow ibook and it'll be really responsive cus it's just plain text.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#8]
I'm going to treat this as a bug as I am scared MaxGui/MaxIDE has lost some of it's performance characteristics.

Jason can you please post your system details and if possible results of following:

- the size (in lines) of the blitzmax/doc/bmxmods/commands.txt file on your system

- the length in time it takes to load and scroll to the bottom of the blitzmax/src/maxide/maxide.bmx source file

- disable syntax highlighting from the options and repeat above test

It may not be the syntax highlighting as it is easy for the code tree to slow things to a crawl when it is malfunctioning.

Thanks!

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hi skidracer, the file itself is around 12000 lines long. Loading is not the problem it`s just the scrolling that produces the massive slow down which makes working on things slow but not impossible. After disabling syntax highlighting the problem goes completely.

I`m also running Vista at the moment but recall XP doing the same thing too.

Strangely, things seem speedier at the top of the program (scrolling in IDE) listing compared to the bottom.

Whilst you are looking at the IDE code, would it at all be possible to add the hilighting of numbers back in that we used to have in the B3D IDE? I found it made code look much more readable and greatly miss it in BMax. Is there a reason why it was not included this time around?

Hope this helps,

Jason.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#10]
Whilst you are looking at the IDE code, would it at all be possible to add the hilighting of numbers back in

skid, if up for it feel free to pinch code from CE IDE for number highlighting - I seem to recall it was fairly obvious compared to original IDE. (obviously goes directly against your statement of wanting to ensure it's still speedy, but it doesn't sound like highlighting is the issue, just scrolling).

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
Number Highlighting would indeed be nice to have again...

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#12]
Any better with the Windows MaxIDE shipped with v1.32?

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#13]
Just load Grey Aliens Framework for a good example.
Yep I noticed the same here for many many months so can confirm it. Even typing in it is slow.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#14]
SebHoll@

The newer 1.32 still has the slowdown issue with large files sadly and no number highlighting :( All of the other additions are great though so I`m not complaining.

Would be nice to see this fixed however in the future.

Just out of interest, was a fix added to the IDE then to fix the problem?

Jason.

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#15]
Just out of interest, was a fix added to the IDE then to fix the problem?

Not a fix for the IDE, but MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUIEx now defaults to using a new, faster version of the RichEdit control which should mean that files are formatted faster than before (it certainly decreased the time taken to load the file from scratch on my PC).

What exactly is the effect of the slowdown? Inserting characters is slow? And how big are these files we are talking about? (Character/line count would be useful.)

Edit: Just read your previous post, Quicksilva...

the file itself is around 12000 lines long. Loading is not the problem it`s just the scrolling that produces the massive slow down which makes working on things slow but not impossible. After disabling syntax highlighting the problem goes completely.

Eeeekkk...

If either of you two could send me something I could test with, it would help enormously... I don't need anything other than the super-massive .bmx file; The largest file I have is maxide.bmx and I haven't noticed any serious problems when editing that. I've just copied and pasted several maxide.bmx one after eachother into a new file and I'm up to 40,000 lines and still haven't noticed a slow-down.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#16]
@SebHoll

When editing the large file mentioned above typing become a nightmare. For example, I type Print "Hello World" and it takes seconds for the actual line to appear in the editor.

The best example of this is when using Grey Aliens Framework. I would send a sample but I think that it would be more appropriate if Jake sent it instead as I do not want to break the license terms.

How about it Jake? Can you send the largest file over to SebHoll, something like the CommonTypes file, as this will be beneficial to us all.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#17]
I wonder if just a large text file without blitz keywords (or small text file pasted many times) would have the same effect. Previously I could send out my file but I'm unable to do that now. I think the slowdown was way worse on XP btw. Yeah it's fine on my Vista PC.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#18]
@GreyAlien :

With highlighting turned off it works fine so a file without Blitz keywords would also work fine I assume.

@SebHoll :

Try typing Print "Hello World" and copy it a few thousand times ;) This seems to reproduce the problem nicely. Incidentally the Blitz3D IDE also suffers from the exact same problem on Vista for me. Maybe it`s something that Vista is doing or maybe something that the two IDE`s share in their code?

Hope this helps,

Jason.

*(Posted 2009) [#19]
Typing on the default IDE it runs VERY slow on Ubuntu 8.4.1 when I type anything the whole thing updates after about ten seconds.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#20]
Typing on the default IDE it runs VERY slow on Ubuntu 8.4.1 when I type anything the whole thing updates after about ten seconds.

I believe this is connected with core changes to BlitzMax's Linux event polling system over recent versions. It doesn't seem to sit well with non-graphics apps - i.e. those which are not polling for events constantly. I've also found the FLTK IDE completely unusable too, with the same symptoms as you describe.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#21]
Any official updates on this situation as it`s still a problem on several computers that I have tried with Vista.

Jason.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#22]
No problems here under XP (x86). :P

Edit: ...and Win7 RC (64 Bit)! ;)

Alessandro(Posted 2009) [#23]
Any update about MaxIde performance?
I have version 1.33 blitzmax, and linux but the problems seems the same.
can I compile maxIde not using fltk but gtk?

Alessandro(Posted 2009) [#24]
Ok, I found it.
Thank you (see http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=78491#960131)