DXERROR err=UNKNOWN

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/DXERROR err=UNKNOWN

Xip(Posted 2008) [#1]
Getting some strange behavior from bmax some times.
not sure if it is something with my gfx card or a driver, as far as i know, i have not installed anything recently that should screw around with this, anyways... and it is happening more and more, and as far as i know always in blitzmax(?).

some times when i compile and execute a program, the background image is not shown, and insted evrything is black(bakground defult color), some of the graphics is renderd and you can see it dont clear the surface so it all gets overlapped.

from time to time, evrything is working correctly when i run the program, but after a while it -breaks down- and goes black(like abouve).

and the last senario, the window dont start at all, and i get this message:

Building test2
Compiling:test2.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.66
4 passes, 20948 bytes.
Linking:test2.exe
Executing:test2.exe
DXERROR err=UNKNOWN:-2147467263 16385
Process complete

some times it solves the problem to execute the program again, some times it helps running it in full-screen 32bit.
and sometimes nothing seems to work.

last time it happend, it always showd black screen in windows mode, and fullscreen always worked, swaped back and forward several times, and always the same result.

i can hear the magical reply before i post this thread, "update your drivers!", but since i dont think i ever had this problem from other games and programs, i thought i should report it still.

my gfx is an ASUS ATI X1650 256mb

has happend on several different projects i have been working on, and i dont think i could show any source that would explain it.

its basicly standard stuff like

graphics 800,600
repeat
flip()
until ...

nothing fansy in resolution or otherwise.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#2]
I got the same thing when I used a D3D7 Canvas and BASS. I minimized the window and that error was returned. I switched to an OpenGL canvas and everything was good. Hopefully this can be fixed... I like DirectX.