Full screen fails on Linux with Dual Monitors

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Full screen fails on Linux with Dual Monitors

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've experienced this myself, but now two other customers have reported the same error: the game runs fine in a window, but if you try to run it full-screen with two monitors it crashes with this output:

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 133
Current serial number in output stream: 133
Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xd8d767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xd8d90e]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0x5d7c109]
#3 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 [0x637f792]
#4 [0xd7fbf98]

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#2]
Wanted to add that I have seen this using Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04, and one of my customers is reporting it on Fedora 9.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#3]
I adapted some code (to show my friends) from code adapted from someone who read ImaginaryHuman's "metaballs" post. I am getting a similar error (see below), and am going to try "reinstalling" (am on Debian Lenny with XFCE4) all OpenGL-related libraries, as well as the libraries above, and see if this doesn't fix what's wrong. Also, while using hardinfo, I got a similiar error message sent to the command line ("glXCreateContext failed" when I went to the "Display" section).
Edit: The "metaballs" code did not cause the problem, but it is the only program I have so far that I know uses OpenGL. Only graphics are affected, actually. Could someone please move this entire thread to the Linux forums? I have a funny feeling that this is NOT a Blitzmax bug (because Blitzmax has been working fine so far, and because there are glx-type-errors in my Xorg file from as far back as last month).

Here is the message I got from the BlitzMax output:

Building AlphaBlendingPowerOf_BlitzMax
Compiling:AlphaBlendingPowerOf_BlitzMax.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (32768 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 14906 bytes.
Linking:AlphaBlendingPowerOf_BlitzMax.debug
Executing:AlphaBlendingPowerOf_BlitzMax.debug
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 35
Current serial number in output stream: 35

Process terminated

These were the parameters given to /bin/bmk, by the IDE: -x -d -t gui -a -o

I am going to try to solve this myself, but I doubt I will be able to. I am not finished yet, though. I will post more the farther I get.

On a related note, after reading this post, I am less hopeful that it is a driver/library issue. :/

theHand(Posted 2009) [#4]
Ha ha! I fixed it (but I still don't know what the cause was).
I uninstalled and then reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card and everything is fine (for now). I was looking and looking for something (since I know little more than the layman does about OpenGL), some clue to the issue, and then I just thought "to hell with that". I was actually gonna reinstall the whole operating system, but decided to try reinstalling the driver first.

I still have lots of log files if anyone is bored and wants to read through them (if you want to I will be very forthcoming with all of it (but for people reading this a month afterward, they will be gone, so tell me now or forget it)).
And this may or may not say something about how Blitzmax is coded, I don't know:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=200168
And maybe this, who knows, but here they are:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=253074
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=255685
The three links are for those who have time to kill, otherwise this can fade away (into the archives!).
Edit: I'm vaguely sure it has something to do with using gdm (Gnome Display Manager, and see here for why), though, because I was a little tired of xdm not letting me shut down the computer from the (graphical) login screen.
...When I discovered my motherboard supported acpi power-off calls (I can press the power button and send a call to the operating system to shut down (safely)). So now all is good.