Various problems with the Mac version

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Various problems with the Mac version

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#1]
Unlike the Linux version, there are few problems with BlitzMax :

A) If you have to force quit a program, you can go back to the editor - but there is no caret, until you minimise and restore the editor. This is probably because BlitzMax believes the program is still running

B) You can only use a certain number of tabs per line - after which further presses are ignored. This is a very irritating problem.

C) Files wont always automatically re-load when first starting BlitzMax. As the files are on a NAS, its quite possible that the location essentially isn't known until Finder has forced the NAS awake.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
A) If you have to force quit a program, you can go back to the editor - but there is no caret, until you minimise and restore the editor. This is probably because BlitzMax believes the program is still running

Do you mean that the mouse pointer hasn't changed? Or there is no cursor blinking in the text-area?

B) You can only use a certain number of tabs per line - after which further presses are ignored. This is a very irritating problem.

This has been fixed in the CocoaMaxGUI module and will be committed to SVN once the new additions have been fully tested.

C) Files wont always automatically re-load when first starting BlitzMax. As the files are on a NAS, its quite possible that the location essentially isn't known until Finder has forced the NAS awake.

I don't know much about the filesystem modules but I'm not sure much could be done about this - if BlitzMax can't access the files when requested, then BlitzMax can't open them. The only alternative would be for BlitzMax to keep polling files to see if they are available. Hardly a viable alternative seeing as in most cases, if a file can't be accessed a first time, it is unlikely to be available a second time etc. I don't have a NAS so I don't know much about "forcing NASs awake". Shouldn't they wake up automatically whenever a file is requested on their drive?

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#3]
Do you mean that the mouse pointer hasn't changed? Or there is no cursor blinking in the text-area?

I mean there is no blinking cursor - you can carry on typing, but there is no way of knowing where it will originally start :)
However, ALL options are greyed out...

This has been fixed in the CocoaMaxGUI module and will be committed to SVN once the new additions have been fully tested.

Ah, good!

Shouldn't they wake up automatically whenever a file is requested on their drive?

Technically it should - it would all depend on whether the path is deemed valid or not...