Fasm 'Out of Memory' FIX

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Fasm 'Out of Memory' FIX

dawlane(Posted 2007) [#1]
The link looks like its broken so here another explanation of what to do.

Copy the bmk file in BlitzMax/bin into a backup folder (or rename it)in case you mess up

Edit the file bmk_util.bmx located in the BlitzMax/src/bmk folder.

look for the Assemble function and edit this line of code for Linux

cmd$=CQuote(BlitzMaxPath()+"/bin/fasm")+" "+CQuote(src)+" "+CQuote(obj)

to read

cmd$=CQuote(BlitzMaxPath()+"/bin/fasm")+" -m 1048560 "+CQuote(src)+" "+CQuote(obj)

the -m switch is used to increase memory that fasm can use.

Compile the bmk.bmx file and copy the bmk program that has been created in BlitzMax/src/bmk into the BlitzMax/bin folder.

You will no longer get the "fasm 'Out of Memory'" error (unless you are compiling a very big file)

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#2]
This aught to be stickied, this caust me out a few months back :)

Oddball(Posted 2012) [#3]
This appears to still be an issue with really large apps. Thanks for the fix.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#4]
Probably ought to be made the default?

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#5]
My god. I had forgotten about this and it's still an issue. Haven't use Linux for some time now and would have thought by now it would have been resolved. If Mark gets round to implementing Monkey on Linux then I'll be back using my favourite OS again.

Last edited 2012

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#6]
Moved this to bug Reports and fixed bug bin link on initial post.

Last edited 2012

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#7]
Hi,

Okay, what should this be set to? 2 Meg? 8? 64?!?

Very old school of fasm...

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hi Mark
May be it would be best if the default fast -m value could be overridden with a command line switch and a modification to the IDE allowing the user to enter there own value in the build options.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#9]
I've beem getting this a lot recently... I just keep forcing recompile until it works...

shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#10]
My app also seems to crash randomly (only on startup) but if I just restart the app (not recompile) it works fine.
On my Mac it doesn't show any error message it just quits itself.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#11]
I am still getting this error in linux unfortunately just to let you know.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#12]
I am still getting this error in linux unfortunately just to let you know.

Tried to edit the file and build it, here is my build error. Seems to be on linking.

I can build all other modules fine. I just rebuilt all modules and no errors. Only an error with this. Any ideas?

Building bmk_util
Compiling:bmk_util.bmx
flat assembler version 1.68 (32768 kilobytes memory)
4 passes, 10127 bytes.
Linking:bmk_util
/usr/bin/ld: /home/j/Desktop/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/openal.mod/openal.release.linux.x86.a(openal.c.release.linux.x86.o): undefined reference to symbol 'dlopen@@...'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'dlopen@@...' is defined in DSO /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 so try adding it to the linker command line
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /home/j/Desktop/BlitzMax/src/bmk/bmk_util
Process complete

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#13]
Which Linux Distribution, Architecture, BlitzMax version and how did you install dependencies.
Latest method is here http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101614

That error mean you need to add Import "-ldl" to your files.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#14]
Hi dawlane, I am using Ubuntu 13.04, blitzmax 1.48, and used sudo to install the dependencies.

I just rebuilt all my modules and they rebuilt without error.

I added import "-ldl" and it built the bmk util without errors. I replaced the old bmk and tried to compile my app and it just says

building XXX...
process complete

Tried starting over, used the backup bmk_util src file, deleted the bmk and went with the backup, and put in import "-ldl" at the top after making the change to the Assembly function, now it just says,
building XXX...
process complete

when I try to build the bmk util and it doesn't create an exe.

Starting over will report in a few.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#15]
when I try to build the bmk util and it doesn't create an exe.
You wouldn't if your only building bmk_util.bmx.
Compile the bmk.bmx file and copy the bmk program that has been created in BlitzMax/src/bmk into the BlitzMax/bin folder.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#16]
oh...

doing now.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#17]
Ok I had to recompile bmk config, then recompile bmk.bmx, recompiling just bmk.bmx didn;t work unless I recompiled config before.

Also had to add import "-ldl" to all of those files. Since I had never recompiled them before. Thanks for your help! :)

I compiled bmk util and not bmk.bmx. Read that last bit wrong ;(