Default font in Windows bug

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Default font in Windows bug

Tricky(Posted 2015) [#1]
Take a look at this screeshot

Of course you get what I'm talking about "MMMMMMM" and "SSSSSSSS" is NOT what I placed in those commands.

This has happened in ALL my programs so far and only in the Windows builds as on Mac and in Linux this works fine. It basically happens whenever I use the default BlitzMax font with DrawText. As you can see all text in which I used a different font (honesty requires me to say that the logo is just a PNG image) it puts on the text as it should (the language is Dutch in case you wondered. I do have an English version of this game as well with the same problems).

Oh yeah, this shot was taken with an OpenGL screen, but when I use DirectX I got the same trouble.

Now I wonder why this happens. Or is there a way to fix this aside from using a different font.
Any ideas?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#2]
Does this happen to the "samples" in BlitzMax too?

Maybe something with the encoding of your files?

Is the amount of characters equivalent to the amount of chars rendered (a "umlaut" is 2 bytes - so maybe something odd there...)

bye
Ron

Tricky(Posted 2015) [#3]
I have not tried the "samples" though I should try that out. Stuff as umlauts and other crazy stuff is not used. In the screenshot above all messed up text is plain text with only roman letters (upper and lower case) and spaces. But if that actually was evil here I'd expect the Mac and Linux builds to act crazy too and like I said on Mac and in Linux the text is displayed as it should.