BCC ignores invalid UTF8 characters

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/BCC ignores invalid UTF8 characters

Derron(Posted 2015) [#1]
The current incarnation of bcc skips invalid utf8 chars.

My code wont get displayed properly here:

original:
    Function Create:TElevatorSoundSource(_movable:Int)
        Local result:TElevatorSoundSource  = New TElevatorSoundSource
        result.Movable = ­_movable

opened in maxide:
    Function Create:TElevatorSoundSource(_movable:Int)
        Local result:TElevatorSoundSource  = New TElevatorSoundSource
        result.Movable = ­_movable

It compiles fine. But the char at "= _moveable" is the hex xode "c2 ad" which is a soft hyphen. (I assume it was entered using BLIde as the file was coded by a user using BLide and Windows).

Albeit not a direct bug but a "feature" it should not skip invalid ascii chars (especially as maxIDE is not aware of the utf8 character).

bye
Ron

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#2]
BLIde does support UTF8, Some external editors "pretify" code, such as changing " to open and close " characters, etc. I guess the code was cut&pasted from some other editor or similar... ? BLIde does not change characters or anything

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#3]
Proper UTF8-support for the offical BMX IDE would be nice.

I don't want to depend upon third party apps.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#4]
@ziggy
The code is written by a user only using Blide, so I am not sure if he somehow managed to open it in maxIDE.

I myself only open them in Geany (linux) which should be handling utf8 pretty well). I do not know which tool produced the problem so I do not want to accuse blide - but I thought it might do some "hacking" to avoid problems with BlitzMax (or maxIDE or whatever).

Conclusion is, that BlitzMax skips chars it should not skip at all (regardless of the editor used to code things).

bye
Ron