Polled input issues in Linux

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Polled input issues in Linux

Tricky(Posted 2013) [#1]
A large project of mine came to a standstill (as my iMac is broken, making Windows and MacOS where I don't have these issues, out of my reach now) as Linux suffers from this problem in ALL my BMax programs.
(I'm currently using Linux Mint Olivia).

It goes like this, I have to press any key about 6 times in quick succession in order to make my BMax programs detect it. The mouse buttons suffer from the same problem. As I don't have a Linux compatible gamepad I couldn't check that, but I expect the same issues there.

(I'm speaking of the KeyDown, KeyHit, MouseDown and MouseHit functions).

As my current project is containing a lot of Lua scripts I first thought the communication between Lua and BMax was bad, but when I tried a complete Lua-free project of mine I discovered that Lua is not the issue.

When I tried a project of mine that I already released (in beta) I encountered the same issues, but I also encountered something more. That project shows a different mouse pointer when the button is held down, and what did I see, I clicked and the game kept on showing the mouse-down pointer. I had to click multiple times to make it change back.

This leads me to believe that the events created for pressing or releasing a key/button are either not properly created or BMax doesn't pick them up correctly.

If you need me to I can put the entire source code of the project I tried this with (with the required 3rd party modules) in this thread.

skidracer(Posted 2013) [#2]
Exactly which Linux Mint Olivia distro are you running (specifically which desktop manager)?.

Tricky(Posted 2013) [#3]
Let's first of all note that I got this computer with Linux completely installed so I have to look things up here. :)

When I tried 'env' in the terminal one of the returned values was:
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME

I also vaguely remember that Cinnamon was installed, but I don't know how to verify that.

Does that answer the question (I'm not that well-versed in Linux, ya know).