Freezing Linker

Archives Forums/BlitzMax Bug Reports/Freezing Linker

Tricky(Posted 2013) [#1]
So far I only encountered this bug (in the last couple o' versions) in MacOS (on both Intel and PPC)

Building GameEngine
Compiling:Teddybear_Core.bmx
Compiling:GameEngine.bmx

Where's "Linking"..... Yes, good question, where is linking.

When I'm having a "big coding day" and when I'm working on my source codes a lot I often encounter that whenever the linker has to come into play that nothing happens, at all and that the process keeps into that status eternally. I've had this in nearly all my projects, and I see this happen in both console and gui and in as well debug as release builds, but more often in debug (I think)... It happens completely randomly and I don't know what causes it.
Once this happens I can give the command over and over, but it will always freeze there. When I delete the target application completely and do it again, everything works again.

Of course, MacOS X is my main system and I only run BlitzMax in Linux and Win32 to make the final builds of my projects on those platforms (though I have plans that will make me use Linux more in the future), and as this mostly happens after compiling multiple times (no telling how much actually as this happens randomly) I really don't know if this problem exists on those two platforms.

Also to make sure I can use only one device on all three platforms I use a FAT32 formatted portable hard drive to store my projects on, I really wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Of course it's not that much of a problem as deleting the old app works, but I really wonder what causes this to happen.

EDIT: Some supplemental Data
MacOS - Mountain Lion (though I have the same problem on Leopard on my PPC MacMini)
BMax - v 1.49 (though I've seen this before on earlier versions as well)