Incorrect view of Russsian symbols

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Incorrect view of Russsian symbols

Gamemaker1(Posted 2012) [#1]
I can see Russian symbol on my computer (OS: Windows XP), but I can`t see them on other computers. They looks how letters of some foreign language (I don`t know how it`s names). What can I do? s Using English interface is hard for some people.

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#2]
where do the words come from? a external file? a code line in the blitzBasic code? Which font do you load?

I had the same problem on my BlitzMax programs, but I don't know whether I can help you with this on B3D...

Gamemaker1(Posted 2012) [#3]
I use them in "Print" and "Text" commands.
P.s. You said that you had the same problem. Did you try to use Russian language, too?

Bobysait(Posted 2012) [#4]
[EDIT]
Use a bitmap font instead of print/text, else, it will not discard the font you selected unless the user uses the same localisation as yours.
In France, I can't see russian, I need to install all the language package to enable the cyrillic support

Last edited 2012

Gamemaker1(Posted 2013) [#5]
I heard about bitmap fonts, but i don't know how to use them. So, I'll try...

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#6]
You can also use FastText for a pre-made solution.

The short version is that Blitz as it stands has zero support for Unicode. Even if the right fonts are installed, the builtin Text and Print commands will simply interpret a Unicode string as gibberish ASCII and print the wrong thing. FastText provides replacement functions that can correctly understand Unicode, and thus take advantage of system fonts for languages like Russian (or more complicated); using a bitmap font is a different proposition that essentially involves rolling your own "code page" and drawing images of the letters you want in sequence from a pre-drawn font image (it's not as hard as it sounds, and there are libs for it anyway).

If however you want to localise to a more complicated language like Chinese, you will want FastText or something like it as the level of complexity is waaaaay beyond what you can reasonably handle with bitmap fonts. They're really only suitable for Roman and other scripts with a small number of letters like Roman (i.e. Greek, Cyrillic).