Sprites problem on Windows 7 still active

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Sprites problem on Windows 7 still active

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#1]
I now got Windows 7 64bits (Home Premium, just installed it) but B3D Sprites, even on version 1.105 are still having problems.

I just tested my game Virtual Marbles, and I was having several glitches, the screen wasn't being redrawn and the game freezing from time to time - up to a point where the driver crashed.

This was the offending code, that once removed, the game now works without any issue:

Arrowspr=LoadSprite("arrow.tga",2+16+32) 
	SpriteViewMode ArrowSpr,2 ;free moving sprite
	ScaleSprite ArrowSpr,20,20
	HideEntity ArrowSpr
	EntityOrder ArrowSpr, -1

When I replaced this with a simple quad created on code, it worked. This is the code I'm using now:

Arrowspr=CreateSpriteFix(0,0,0,20,20)
EntityTexture ArrowSpr, LoadTexture("arrow.tga",2+16+32)
HideEntity ArrowSpr
EntityOrder ArrowSpr, -1

Function CreateSpriteFix(x#,y#,z#, width#, height#)
Local quadmesh

quadmesh=CreateMesh(parent)
	v=CreateSurface(quadmesh)
    AddVertex v, x-width#, y+height#, z#, 0,0 
    AddVertex v, x+width#, y+height#, z#, 1,0
    AddVertex v, x-width#, y-height#, z#, 0,1 
    AddVertex v, x+width#, y-height#, z#, 1,1

AddTriangle(v,0,1,2)
	AddTriangle(v,2,1,3)

Return quadmesh
End Function

Before anyone questions: other games are running normally, and I do have latest nvidia drivers. The game also works normally on XP32 and Vista64.

The computer: HP Touchsmart, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9300GS video card. The game is written purely in B3D, no other 'add-ons' (like AShadow) is used.

mr.keks(Posted 2010) [#2]
Moreover, I've been experiencing funny behaviour of sprites attatched to a camera since the last updates. (Windows Vista, 32 bit, ATI Mobility Radeon X1900)

The following code causes the sprite to totter across the screen where I'd expect that it would stay fixed at the center.

Graphics3D 800, 600, 32, 2
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

cam = CreateCamera()
sprite = CreateSprite(cam)
PositionEntity sprite, 0,0,10

Repeat
	Cls
	TurnEntity cam,Rand(-20,20),Rand(-20,20),Rand(-20,20)
	RenderWorld
	Flip
Until KeyHit(1)
End

Xaron(Posted 2010) [#3]
No news here? I have the same issue.

marksibly(Posted 2010) [#4]
Hi,

Will be looking into this Monday!

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#5]
Cool! I now have win7-64 bits, so if you need someone to test stuff, just tell me :)

Xaron(Posted 2010) [#6]
Me too. Thanks Mark for taking this serious and still keep this good old piece of software up to date in terms of bugs, even though it might become harder and harder because a lot of "bad" stuff will happen on the driver's site...

edit: BTW: I just tried the small test program from Mr.Keks with an older 1.102 version and it did work well on my Windows 7 64 Bit system. This flickering happens with 1.105.

Last edited 2010

marksibly(Posted 2010) [#7]
Hi,

I've posted a potential update to the 'devteam' forum.

If you're not already a member there and want to give it a whirl, please contact support at blitzbasic dot com and tell 'em Mark sent you!