Windows 7 and 3D

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Windows 7 and 3D

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#1]
Recently, I bought Windows 7 in a computer boutique.

I successfully ran 2D games, but, unfortunatly, all my 3D games are slow and give me problems.

To remove that problem, I reinstalled Windows XP... Everything work.

I really want to move to windows 7.

I think we must call the maker of blitz to make a compatible version of Blitz with the new Windows 7. It should be handy.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#2]
Xylvan what hardware are you trying to run Windows 7 on ?
If your using a nVidia Graphics card then it would be advisable to rebuild all your applications using the latest Blitz3D update (V1.105) as I tried Candy World3 v0.80 which actually crashed the nVidia driver. There are some know problems using Windows 7 + nVidia drivers greater than 185.85 + Blitz 3D.

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#3]
Officially, the game were made to work on XP and Vista.

Unfortunately, It dont work with Windows 7 Home. Everything is slow and the only way to get it correct is Windows 7 Professionnal and Ultimate.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#4]
>Everything is slow and the only way to get it correct is Windows 7 Professionnal and Ultimate.

I have news for you as it doesn't work on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition.
Candy World 3 ran like Tank Unviersal did before MadJack re-wrote part of Tank Universal because of the W7 + nVidia + sprite entity order problem ( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=88702 ). The test code he supplied more than likely helped to high light the problem to BRL who have attempted a fix for that problem.
I would suggest that you run your applications in debug mode to find out what is causing the problem and post some test code ( READ MARKS NOTE ON POSTING BUG REPORTS. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=47626 ). As for a BRL completely updating Blitz3D (in other words move from DX7 to DX9) you will have a long wait.

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#5]
Recently, I've gatbered the information on my computer infos...

Here it goes...

Sempron 3000+ 1800 Mhz mono core, 1GB Ram, 320 GB main hard drive, 320 GB USB hard drive. Windows XP Professionnal and 7 Home. The graphic card is a Geforce 8600 GT 256MB.

The code will be posted soon, I hope it will work soon with windows 7

Friendly

Alex, Xilvan Design

GfK(Posted 2010) [#6]
Sempron 3000+ 1800 Mhz mono core, 1GB Ram, 320 GB main hard drive, 320 GB USB hard drive. Windows XP Professionnal and 7 Home.
This shouldn't be in Bug Reports.

Your computer is scarcely good enough for Windows 7, is the problem. You make no mention of any graphics card, but at the very least you need a RAM upgrade. A new CPU wouldn't do any harm, either.

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#7]
There may be an argument for deprecating or replacing all the 2D drawing commands in Blitz3D especially Text in the name of performance and compatability. I personally don't think the 3D renderer is at much risk in either department.

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#8]
I've a new Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium, and all my games works with it... I didnt had to downgrade it to Vista.

Thanks for help anyway !