Blitz 3D and Vista?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Blitz 3D and Vista?

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2010) [#1]
I keep receiving an 'illegal memory address' error on the first line of my program. Rather amusingly, this is a simple "Const" line and the error is displayed even when the line is commented out. Are there any major issues with Vista compatibility I should be aware of?

mrcoke(Posted 2010) [#2]
Hi. I had the same problem. Could fix it, so here we go... Download the Blitz3DSetup164 and the Blitz3DUpdate185 - Then install the Setup (don't start B3D) and install the update. In this case - B3D runs under Vista on my computer. I don't tried other updates yet - for now i'm glad to start my first steps with B3D ... hope i could help.

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#3]
Just run Blitz3D with administrator privileges, or install it on another folder, something like c:\Blitz3D instead of on c:\Program Files.

Fernhout(Posted 2010) [#4]
The problem with VISTA is that it lock out a couple of directories. I had the problem to. And found out that the problem IS VISTA. When you start compiling the TEMP folder is not accasable by the compiler. Cause this is a lockt folder by VISTA.
If you instal B3D in a other folder and not somewhere in the program file folder you programming wil work.

I do work now woth Windows7 where this problem was solved. and the normal installation is working ok.

Nexinarus(Posted 2011) [#5]
I installed B3d on Vista and i never had that problem. But i installed 1.64 then immediately updated to V1.85

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#6]
I installed B3d on Vista and i never had that problem.

Did you have UAC disabled by any chance? IIRC it works OK in that case, but with UAC enabled (which is the default under Vista) it keeps you from writing to certain folders.

Nexinarus(Posted 2011) [#7]
i dunno. I just installed it and used it. what is UAC?

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
UAC = User Access Control, It's a feature in windows Vista/7 that tries to lock down the operating system to an extent so even an administrator can't do everything without explicit approval.

It's the system that generates the popups asking for permission when you try to move files to certain folders, among others... And if it is enabled (like it will be on a default vista install) this will prevent programs like BlitzMax from generating files in the c:\program files folder, which breaks the compiler.

Nexinarus(Posted 2011) [#9]
oh ok. then ya, I always have to click yes to access blitz but thats no big deal. And i can still compile in my temp folder no problem. I just tried it again. Still works. Dunno why it isnt working for some of the other Vista users.

Last edited 2011