Blitz 3D files full of viruses? please read

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Blitz 3D files full of viruses? please read

gpete(Posted 2010) [#1]
Window Malware tool "Microsoft Security Essentials" on my Windows 7 PC has a real problem with Blitz 3D files. It seems to find malware "VIRUT/BI" on any Blitz 3D executable file that I have created over the years. It also reports that the 60KB Blitz3D application exe is also "VIRUT/BI" infected.

Supposedly this "Virut" attaches itself to the end of executable files, htm files etc., according to Microsoft.

Well, I'm thinking hogwash! Does anybody else find that Windows 7, Windows Defender, or the Microsoft Security Essentials programs are reporting shady operations by Blitz 3D or files created by Blitz 3D?

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#2]
I wouldn't rely on any Microsoft security products. Install some other security software as there is possibly already malware installed or it's a false positive.

And this topic should really have been post in the General Discussion or General Help sections as more people will see it.

gpete(Posted 2010) [#3]
I believe it is a false positive also- I only added the "Security Essentials" 2 days ago.
Over the years I've used Spybot Search and Destroy and it has never found anything in any Blitz related files or directories.

I wonder if the Microsoft Programmers are looking for a specific fragment of code at the end of executables- that only Microsoft compilers produce... as if they are the center of all the universe!

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#4]
win7 and windows defender on their own don't come up with that and nod32 smart security does not find anything suspicious.

so I would guess that the essentials are trying to do their work "too good" in the Norton - AVG - Avira - Trend Micro way (better 500% incorrect false positives than 1 missed)

Fernhout(Posted 2010) [#5]
hi
i am using AVG and up till now i do not have any problems. The scan on my computer is weekly on sunday. And AVG did never give me a warning of a virus. i think that Windows 7 is the problem its self. I am using windows & from the day it was out and i like it very much. its even beter than vista. For securety i disabled the defender of win7 cause it give me a lot of warnings that are wrong. specialy files i have made myself.

so its the best way to turn that off and take a anti virus program that you normaly used and trust. I think you wil have beter way for yourself.

puki(Posted 2010) [#6]
I'd say you may have an infection as I also use Microsoft Security Essentials and have no issues.

The b3d file format has fired off false positives in the past:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62879