No real black when using color 0,0,0

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/No real black when using color 0,0,0

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#1]
Color 0, 0, 0 ;!!!!!!!
Text 10, 10, "darkblue text"
WaitKey()

We tested this code on multiple Systems with B3D 1.103 and 1.104,
Win XP 32-bit and Win7 64-bit, ATI and NVidia Cards (even some old DX7-ViaChipset).
In all cases, the set color was 0,0,16, not 0,0,0.
This occurs also in set 32-bit graphics, just add graphics 640,480,32 at the beginning.

Silver_Knee(Posted 2010) [#2]
seems to be text-specific. Rect aso. works fine.

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#3]
is filtering active?

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#4]
I can only speak for my system: all Filtering options are set to app-based, so I guess no filtering. (but I am not that fit with filters).

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2010) [#5]
I have a very vague recollection of this, and it being to do with the depth / resolution / hardware / driver combination. I think some combinations simply don't actually give you what you ask for. It may be that the card doesn't support true 32-bit at all (probably unlikely?) or just not at that resolution - try a few combinations?

Is it really 100% critical that it be completely black? The only scenario I can think of is if you then want to ReadPixel to determine a pixel as being black. In which case, before you start, draw a "black" pixel in a known location, ReadPixel it back in, and assume that defines "black" for the rest of the game. That, or find a better method than using ReadPixel!

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#6]
The bug was posted on our forum and seems to affect nearly all Users- no difference what resolution is used. On most screens it is nearly not visible, but with enough contrast you can see it.
I was not the person that found this bug, for me it is not critical at all as I use mainly bmax by now, but I thought it would be good to report it to the official site.
The tested graphic cards vary strongly in type so I don't thing it is an hardware based problem.

Floyd(Posted 2010) [#7]
This issue has come up before. I thought it was done deliberately. You would like black (0,0,0) to be the text color, but black is already being used as the mask color and can't be seen. So Blitz changes black to "almost black".

But then why doesn't Blitz just temporarily use some other mask color for black text? Maybe I'm confused about the real explanation.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#8]
Mark did this deliberately, but unfortunately I forget the exact reason (it was many years ago), though it was something like Floyd suggests. It's definitely 'by design' though.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#9]
Good to know about it, though.
I assume that the mask no longer applies to the modified colour then?
(Even with full contrast, I can't see the difference on my decrepit monitor ;) )