Sprite tearing on NVidia 880GTX

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Sprite tearing on NVidia 880GTX

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm getting corruption of sprites that are parented to the camera when the camera moves on a 8800GTX, but it works perfectly with the same code on my ATI 1950Pro and older Geforce card.

I've tested 2 different programs and with both of them some of the sprites that are parented to the camera appear to suffer from either texture coords corruption or some sort of tearing as the camera is rotated, as shown in the screenshot below - some of the sprite icons can be seen to have squished down on the left side. It's always on the left side and affects the same sprites every time, but as you can see some of the icons are working OK. All are just normal alpha-blended sprites parented to the camera and positioned in front of it.

Anyone got any ideas?

ubergeek(Posted 2008) [#2]
I've never had that sort of problem before, although I don't think I've parented sprites to the camera before, either. :-) That looks really wierd, though.

The interesting thing is that I'm having problems with my nVidia 8800 GTX also. See here.

Maybe there's something in this cards' drivers that make it not work nicely with Blitz...

Vorderman(Posted 2008) [#3]
This is why I always buy ATI hardware and not NVidia >:(

I've swapped the sprite for a thin box and it's OK, so looks like it's a problem specific to whatever Blitz3D uses as sprites.

SLotman(Posted 2008) [#4]
Try altering your camera range (specially the NEAR parameter) which could fix things in this case.

H. T. U.(Posted 2008) [#5]
Why don't you just draw the icons on the screen and check to see if the mouse is inside it's preprogrammed "click box" when the mouse is pressed down. That's what I've always done and it's so fast I often have to use the VWait command.