Possible bug with 3D sound listener

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Possible bug with 3D sound listener

Etica(Posted 2007) [#1]
Im using windows2000 directx9.0c blitz3D v.199
I tried also with the previous v.198 and the result is the same.

The 3D listener seems to stop/bug any other long sound (mp3,ogg,wav) played with both PlayMusic or PlaySound (with loop) commands.

If I remove the 3D listener created with default values or even other values, I can listen to the music given by the PlayMusic / PlaySound commands, but if I create the listener, the music is not audible, I can listen on it only when the camera pass from eg: 0,0,0 (by the way, the listener is attached to the camera)

Other short 2D sounds play fine, 3D sounds play very low volume, but work.

Any idea ?

Research & Development
System Engineer
E-tica srl
Milano

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#2]
Post example code, sounds to me like you've not set the listener up right

Etica(Posted 2007) [#3]
I tried every kind of different parameters than the default ones. no luck!

I'll post the exact code soon,

Thanks bye

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#4]
Seems like this is still in there. at least in the version 1.98 that I am using atm.

PLaymusic is playing a 3D sound instead of a simnple stereo sound. When you playmusic in a FPS, then you can make a step to the side and you'll hear that sound from your 3D location you were when it was started. Assuming the listener is parented to the FPS camera.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#5]
Especially interactive Soundsystems, eg. speech output in AI or Dialog Systems etc. shouldn't use PlayMusic MHO. Fortunately it's pretty simple to write a replacement using Loadsound. Just write the handles and channels of the sounds to a stack, then frequently check if a channel is still playing, if it doesn't then remove the sound from memory and stack list.

It doesn't really stream the Music, as PlayMusic claimes to do, but at least it's a "fire and forget" substitute System.