Odd cubemapping problem

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Odd cubemapping problem

Yasha(Posted 2007) [#1]
Not sure if this counts as a B3D bug because the problem appears to be something on my PC, but I have no idea what...

I can happily load a cubemap texture from a file and apply it to an object, and all works as expected. However, the command SetCubeFace doesn't seem to work. So, when trying to dynamically update a cubemap, all six faces are mapped to the same face and the rest of the map remains blank, resulting in a black cube with one textured face. I think, that for an example of what I mean, try the SetCubeFace example in the help file, with the command itself (SetCubeFace()) commented out.

The results are pretty strange: a largely black mesh with a square floating on its surface, not even in the correct place for that square. The results are similarly odd for every other cubemapping code I've obtained from this site including Rob's "cubed.zip" with EXE.

I'm afraid I don't know how to add images to this post...

My graphics are dealt with by Intel's 82852/82855 GM/GME controller (please don't hit me), if that's relevant information. Blitz's GfxDriverCaps3D() command and Intel's documentation both insist cubemapping is an available feature (and it does work to a limited degree) so I am really stumped as to what's going on.

Thanks for taking a look...

Update: If the texture is loaded with *only* the flag 128, the cubemap works (although it's extremely slow). Adding flag 1 blanks it; adding 48 has no particular effect on whether it works. The problem above applies to 1+128+256... and the specific examples I was using are the Help file example, Mark's simple cubemapped water and JFK's very pretty cubemapped terrain water.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#2]
That's an onboard graphics card right? They usually are a bit "zicky" (directly translated from "zickenalarm" :)) For example on my notebook with onboard gfx I cannot use the alpha flag alone for some reason, but I have to add the flag 1 to make flag 2 work (or so), see my bug report.

I'd suggest to update your gfx cards drivers, this may or may not solve the issue.