CopyRect and alpha values

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/CopyRect and alpha values

_33(Posted 2007) [#1]
When I perform a CopyRect from ImageBuffer to TextureBuffer, or from BackBuffer to TextureBuffer, I always loose my alpha values.

I assume that Blitz3D should also copy the 8 bits of alpha values as it's an integral part of the image.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#2]
It's not IMHO. Images and back/frontbuffer are 24 bit. Only textures may be 32 Bit. Not sure if you can copy the alphachannel using copyrect from tex buffer to texbuffer.

Although I agree, it would be much smarter to use 32 bit for everything, or 64bit. So you could handle transparency fx or hi recision RGB editing on a OS near level. But the real world is imperfect.

I think 2D will become marginal soon anyway. (Tho, they use emulations in 3D for retro fx)

_33(Posted 2007) [#3]
jfk EO-11110: I won't try to argue with you. But your concept of 2D graphics is missing some crucial knowledge if you think there are no alpha channel definition in a 2 mode, or with sprites, what not.

Litobyte(Posted 2007) [#4]
Indeed!

Professional video mixers use 3D acceleration to perform tasks such as video cross alpha-fading and such.

2D is ok to load and render the video, even if blitzcommands are just too weak to make a proper video player.

Open, Close and IsPlaying is not sufficent for me.

I'd leek to seek the stream forward at least, and knowing the total length and so forth...

Bye,

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#5]
To copy alpha from texture to texture, use Toms DX7Test.dll that offers a CopySurface command that copies pixels between 2 textures and offers this capability.

_33(Posted 2008) [#6]
After reading this, I have the feeling that this is a no issue, but verry annoying!!! I think it,s related to the *bug* as this behaviour seems to be pre-meditated in the first place.

***** V1.53 *****

Replace$ bug with same strings fixed.

ReadLine$() returns all chars except chr$(13)/chr$(10).

ImagesCollided fixed.

READPIXEL AND READPIXELFAST USERS PLEASE READ:
----------------------------------------------

Some issues with ReadPixel and ReadPixelFast have arisen.

While working on the 3D, it has been necessary to make ReadPixel and ReadPixelFast "alpha-aware".

This means that the high 8 bits of the color returned ReadPixel/ReadPixelFast now contain valid alpha information.

However, in the case of Blitz2D apps, there is no alpha information in images!

I have decided that in the abscence of any alpha information, a pixel is assumed to have 'full' alpha.

Therefore, values returned by ReadPixel/ReadPixelFast will now (usually) have their high 8 bits sets. The exception will be when reading pixels from Blitz3D textures created with an alpha channel.

To get the old behaviour of ReadPixel/ReadPixelFast, use the following:

rgb=ReadPixel( x,y ) And $FFFFFF

This will 'mask out' the 8 high bits of alpha and return just the red, green and blue components of the pixel.

I apologize for any inconvenience this change may have caused/be causing, but I believe that, long term, this approach is the right way to go...

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#7]
Fast Extend lib allows you to copy alpha information.