Antialias

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Antialias

_33(Posted 2007) [#1]
Setting Antialias mode on or off doesn't do anything. This can be seen using the example supplied in the Blitz3D help.

; AntiAlias Example
; -----------------

Graphics3D 640,480
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

camera=CreateCamera()

light=CreateLight()
RotateEntity light,90,0,0

sphere=CreateSphere()
PositionEntity sphere,0,0,2

While Not KeyDown( 1 )

; Toggle antialias enable value between true and false when spacebar is pressed
If KeyHit( 57 )=True Then enable=1-enable

; Enable/disable antialiasing
AntiAlias enable

RenderWorld

Text 0,0,"Press spacebar to toggle between AntiAlias True/False"
If enable=True Then Text 0,20,"AntiAlias True" Else Text 0,20,"AntiAlias False"

Flip

Wend

End

My hardware is a Opteron system with an ATI X800 series graphics card with R480 gpu. The ATI drivers are for Windows XP, which are Catalyst version 7.6. I'm not sure but I think this problem is very old.

I tick the option "use application setting" and result is antialias is always off regardless if I set Antialias On or Antialias Off in my Blitz3D application.

If I set the catalyst to override application settings and use antialias, the antialias is always on, regadless if I set antialias ot on or off in my Blitz3D application.

Cheers.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
Yes, it doesn't work and hasn't for as long as I've owned B3D. The official BRL line is that it can't be fixed although I think there were suggestions otherwise in the SDK forum.

_33(Posted 2007) [#3]
Gotcha: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=51462

Thanks.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yep, and here is the thread I referred to in the SDK forum with a proposed solution.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=70694

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#5]
On my last PC antialias via Blitz would switch on, but not off! On my current machine - nothing (?)
I've given up on it.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#6]
In the graphics card industry there were possibly only 3 driver guys who new how to support dx7 style AA and at that time no one ever turned it on because bad framerates plus fuzzy edges was deemed bad for the frag count.

Due to the antiquated method of the edge style algorithms and the fact they were discontinued in the dx8 spec I would guess that number is a lot closer to zero. Or there is some mysterious back buffer format requirements we have not yet stumbled across but I gave up after a couple of recent attempts on both current gen nvidia and ati hardware.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
So Rob's friend's suggestion

surfaceDesc.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS|DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT;

surfaceDesc.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE | DDSCAPS_FLIP | DDSCAPS_COMPLEX | DDSCAPS_3DDEVICE;

surfaceDesc.ddsCaps.dwCaps2 = DDSCAPS2_HINTANTIALIASING;

doesn't work?