DVI montior timing problem in windowed mode

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/DVI montior timing problem in windowed mode

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#1]
After getting a flatscreen monitor recently and connecting via a DVI connection Blitz 3D and Blitz Plus have a stuttering framerate in windowed mode (Blitzmax is fine if I set the hertz part of the Graphics command to my refresh rate of 60). This does not happen in fullscreen mode or when using a VGA cable strangely.

I wanted to include it here as a bug because other games that I have tried in windowed mode (non Blitz) are working absolutely fine and smoothly. It just seems to be something that Blitz is doing with the screen updating.

I have tried doing a Flip False : VWait but the problem still persists. I have also tried to create a timer of 60 and use WaitTimer but again no luck. My monitor is running at 60Hertz in 1440x900 mode (It is a widescreen monitor) but the problem still occurs if I run it at a different refresh rate such as 59 or 75 or different resolution.

I am all out of things to try so hopefully someone can take a look into this for me.

Just out of interest several of my friend also share this problem.

Incase it helps I am running Windows XP Home with an NVidia card.

Is there some way that I can mimic the graphic commands hertz parameter of BlitzMax as this solves the problem.

I hope that you can help as it is causing me a lot of headaches.

Jason.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#2]
I don't know if this was a typo but it should be vwait:flip false not flip false:vwait

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#3]
It was a typo but I did try both anyway. Were you getting the exact same problem as me before you started doing a vwait:flip false?

It would be nice if you could email something that works on your monitor to try on mine with your fix in just to make sure I`m not doing anything stupid.

Jason.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#4]
the vwait:flip false removes any tearing, the update isn't as fast though, but generally I've not found this to be a big problem.

Graphics3D 1680,1050,32,1

SetBuffer BackBuffer()
camera = CreateCamera()
MoveEntity camera,0,0,-20
light = CreateLight()

piv = CreatePivot()

For r1=0 To 359 Step 30
For r=0 To 359 Step 15
	cube = CreateCube()
	PositionEntity cube,Sin(r)*10,0,Cos(r)*10
	RotateEntity cube,0,-r,0
	EntityParent cube,piv

Next
RotateEntity piv,r1,0,0
Next

t=MilliSecs()

Repeat

RotateEntity piv,Float((MilliSecs()-t))/50.0,0,Float((MilliSecs()-t))/20.0

RenderWorld

; No tearing but not as smooth
	;VWait
	;Flip False

; Smooth with Tearing
	Flip

Until KeyHit(1)

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks for that. And the problem is only in windowed mode? Mine works fine in full screen.

I`ll give your code a try. Thanks again.

Jason.