JoyType() bug

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/JoyType() bug

*(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have a Logic 3 USB Joypad (digital with 10 buttons, looks like a Playstation pad) when using Joytype to read the joystick it comes up as analogue.

simple code demonstration:
Print JoyType()
Waitkey

reports 2 which in the docs says this is an analogue joypad

*(Posted 2007) [#2]
can anyone confirm this bug, I have a Logic 3 joypad the one that looks like a PS1 pad and has 10 buttons

steve_ancell(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yeah, you are right. I have the same gamepad and it returns as type 2.
Blitz3D 1.98 and the free version of BlitzBasic from the PC Plus mag, both returned 2.
Could it be a typo error in the documentation !.

*(Posted 2007) [#4]
I dont think it as my other digital pad turns up as type 1, also Stevie G who has an analogue stick also plays Elite Multiplayer with Type 2 analogue controls.

I think Blitz3d has a problem with USB joysticks, if this is the case then it will be rather difficult if not impossible to code for that type of control.

steve_ancell(Posted 2007) [#5]
Not sure if this is important Edz ?... MaxFighter F-23U - Analogue Joystick, returns 2. May'be the Logic 3 uses circuitry that is also used in some other analogue stick. I see what you mean though, there will be a problem with automatic detection for that joypad.

[EDIT] Only other thing I can think of is puting a "Click here if using Logic-3 Pad" Button, in the option menu of any games. [/EDIT]

[EDIT] Would there be any way of finding out from within a Blitz-3D game, which driver is being used for joypad input ?, if so... could this be a way around the problem ? [/EDIT]

*(Posted 2007) [#6]
not as far as I know, maybe put in a Digital/Analogue joystick option in the options menu but that sorta defeats the object of JoyType doesnt it.

steve_ancell(Posted 2007) [#7]
Yep, it definately defeats the object.