Blitz3D won't work with vista correctly...

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Blitz3D won't work with vista correctly...

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi!

I have just installed Vista RC1 on an older Computer (1,1 Ghz Athlon, 640 MB Ram, ATI Radeon 7000 32 MB).

At this command:

Graphics3D 640,480,32,1

i get an "Unable to create 3D Scene".

Is it a driver problem with vistas lame graphics driver or is a problem with blitz3d?

Graphics 640,480,32,1 (WITHOUT 3D) works fine...

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#2]
Vista ain't supported

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#3]
if compiled blitzexes with 3d won't run on vista, i can throw a year of work into the trashcan... this would be horrible!!!!

has anyone a newer/better machine to test blitzexes on vista rc1?

LuckyPhil(Posted 2006) [#4]
Vista only comes with DX10.

Have you tried installing DX9?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#5]
ok, the exes do run on vista rc1. you will need a good vista supported graphics card. *phew* ;-)

Dock(Posted 2006) [#6]
Doesn't that mean there will be loads of people who are running Vista with a card that can no longer run 3D games, despite it being fine with XP?

Mystik(Posted 2006) [#7]
Blitz 3d games work on my Vista install. The only problem I can find is that image masking does not work. Any transparent areas always show black.

Same for Blitzplus unless you select opengl.

Steve.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thats not that much different from XP. Blitz3D is bugging quite badly with different things on XP if you have a new card and the wrong driver version, just because B3D is DX7 and the current gen cards aren't that DX7 friendly anymore.

If you want masking working correctly for example: use power of 2 square textures. (as well if you don't want to cut of some NVidia users as it won't run there without beeing square)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#9]
your 3d card must be supported by vista, then blitz3d will run fine. i've tested my game on an old ati 7000 32 mb card. on xp it worked, but slow, 25 fps - ati and/or microsoft do not support this old card, so no blitz3d will run on that card using vista. but hey, who's gonna use vista with old hardware ;-)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
EDIT
Oops - I forgot this isn't general discussion.

So let us hope Max3D will be available soon.

steve_ancell(Posted 2006) [#11]
Baring in mind though... Isn't Win Vista still in Beta ?
Perhaps that could be why there is a Blitz3D-Vista problem !

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#12]
Wild speculation as I've had no problems with Blitz3D under Vista, I would test 800x600 also. XP desktop does not support 640x480 and I wouldn't be suprised if Vista has made 800x600 the minimum accepted resolution for display hardware (ie your monitor driver might be quite legally refusing the request). If we were talking about Linux I'd also suggest trying 24 bit modes as ATI Linux drivers are a little picky in that regard.

Barton(Posted 2006) [#13]
I get mail from Vista Beta testers and my Game do not work with Vista. Error: Unable to create 3D Scene (Graphic Card Radeon 9800 and 1024x768,32 Default)

the error message comes after starting the exe file. (after opening the B3d pre-window for initialize of graphic)

all other non b3d-games start without problems. (BF2 ...)

I hope that an update comes for Vista.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#14]
Barton you should try an other DirectX7 based game on those machines. If they don't work then the problem cannot be fixed in Blitz, but must be solved in DirectX. (maybe by installing DirectX 9 on vista)

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#15]
Will test with an ATI setup when final Vista is released, which sounds like for business / msdn people could be before the end of the month.

It is of course important you build with the very latest version of Blitz3D with all known DEP issues resolved and of course rule out any third party userlibs or plugins you might be using.

Barton(Posted 2006) [#16]
I've now tested my Game with a Radeon 9000 and it work fine with Vista RC2. I installed No Graphic Card Drivers or other DirectX Version.

The beta tester has a error protocol sent to Microsoft. (Its Radeon 9800 do not run with my game)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#17]
I haven't had any problem running Blitz3D games on vista (neither on my new notebook with NVIDIA nor with my old with ATI, both mobile. And I'm testing vista since Beta 2)

Those that are having problems are most likely users that did not install Vista WDDM drivers from ATI / NVIDIA but XP drivers in emulation mode for higher performance and those driver simply are not fully compatible nor do they run on DX10 with translation for older DX.