Spyware in Blitz installer??!!!

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Spyware in Blitz installer??!!!

PsychicParrot(Posted 2006) [#1]
I was installing the latest update, when ...

Freedom anti-spyware pops up and says 'Spyware found: Buddy Spy 2.2' !

I'm guessing/hoping that it's mistaken. Any thoughts?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
After a bit of googling: *click*

Something to do with Yahoo Messenger from what I can tell.

Had similar problems with Kaspersky Antivirus when I wrote a CD menu system in Visual Basic. Had end-users calling and telling me I'd given them a virus. All it was doing was dumping a lil DLL onto their hard drive in order for it to function correctly - nothing malicious at all. A bit of email correspondence to Kaspersky support cleared things up.

Anyhow, just checked out 1.96 update here - AVG reports nothing.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#3]
Definitely mistaken :)

Man I hate those spy-buddy things :)

PsychicParrot(Posted 2006) [#4]
TBH, I think the Freedom system is pants and I was sure it was a mistake... but I thought I'd better post it here incase any newbs hit the error and freak.

I don't think for a second that there is spyware in it ... just incase anyone else comes across it, don't worry about it. The installer must have a particular pattern that the Freedom spyware system thinks is something else.

Ignore, move on, nothing to see here ... ;)

NA(Posted 2006) [#5]
I had no problem and I have a good program for spybot programs called Spybot Search & Destroy. Here it is http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ there web site in case you are interested it is free too.

From people I have talked to and Johnathan S. Harbour who has wrote many game programming books he e-mailed me he told me how good the program was for getting rid of spy things. This is the authors web address http://www.jharbour.com/default.aspx

He has no Blitz Basic books, but the ones he does are really good.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#6]
I had no problem and I have a good program for spybot programs called Spybot Search & Destroy. Here it is www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ there web site in case you are interested it is free too.

While spybot is a great program, it's not perfect either -- it used to delete my shortcut icon to BitComet, because it incorrectly assumed it belonged to the somewhat fishy 'CometCursor' spyware.

VP(Posted 2006) [#7]
I've got F-Secure on my PC now (after dumping Panda, which I still have months left on the license - waste of money). No wee beasties getting onto my HD :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#8]
I use Windows Defender, which appears to be useless.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#9]
Adaware seems quite good
www.adaware.com

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#10]
I use Windows Defender, which appears to be useless.

And worse than useless, if using Windows Defender Beta 2.0: http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=60232 (as you already know, since you posted in that thread, but perhaps others don't and could benefit from the knowing - thus this link).

Adaware seems quite good

FWIW I, too, use that.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#11]
me too. That "uninstall Windows Defender" thread is funny lol.

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#12]
I used to use Adaware (and loved it) until I had some nastyware installed and it wasn't picking it up. I installed MS Antispyware and it got rid of it. Or at least half of it anyway. Windows Defender hasn't done anything ever.

Myrmydon(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ah, spyware the most insane thing to be invented, But I have never heared of windows defender so whoever posts next how hard were you hit (me at least 8 kinds of 'em)(and I have other Antivirus programs)

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#14]
Since posting that I actually successfully used Windows Defender on a random work machine and pcked up tonnes of stuff (but it took 6 hours for the scan).

Windows Defender is MS Antispyware beta 2, whereas MS Antispyware was beta 1.