No mpuse connceted - no blitzbasic!

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/No mpuse connceted - no blitzbasic!

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi!

When i unplug my mouse, i cannot start ANY blitzbasic exes... they all just popup (the default blitz window) and quit.

i found out:

mouse: CreateDeviceEx failed

and

Startup Error: input_create failed

hope to see a fix for it, cause without a mouse i never can run a standalone/dedicated gameserver written in blitz3d on a remote server.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#2]
What version of Windows is this in? I rebooted my Windows XP Pro SP2 without a mouse attached and ran the compiled test below without any trouble:

Repeat
	Delay 50
	Print MouseX()
Until KeyDown(1)
It just printed 200 with no mouse installed. I remember that Win 98 would put up a warning message if a mouse weren't found on startup, but XP didn't complain. I tried plugging the mouse in after testing, but it didn't respond, so it looks like XP really was ignoring it (rather than installing a mouse driver that just didn't receive input without a mouse actually attached).

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#3]
it is plain naked win2000. i tried this on 2 machines, one with SP4 installed, one naked win2k (freshly installed) without ANY patches. maybe its a win2000 related bug - whatever it is, it keeps me from running dedicated (blitz3d-)servers on those machines... and thats bad.

without keyboard there is no problem. b3d runs just fine.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#4]
any response from brl?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#5]
*bump*

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#6]
@Mark & Skid: any response on this issue?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
How many people don't have a mouse?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#8]
every gameserver/rootserver out there... they have normally no keyboard/mouse connected. not even a monitor...

without a keyboard blitz runs fine on those machines, but without a mouse there is no way to use blitzbasic... thats the point i dont understand.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#9]
every gameserver/rootserver out there... they have normally no keyboard/mouse connected. not even a monitor...
If you don't have a monitor, then what would you need a mouse for?

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#10]
I think he means, if you were using a computer as a server, just a tower, then it refuses to run. I mind there being some issues with this before. I don't think it was addressed...

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#11]
thats exactly what i mean. my game will have a standalone-server at release date. and most clans are using rootserver (without mouse/keyboard/vga) for hosting their games...

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#12]
i tried some mouse emulating software - but blitz3d still refuses to run ;(

GfK(Posted 2006) [#13]
If it's bothering you this much and you can't wait for an update, just plug a mouse in. Buy one if you have to. Just get an el-cheapo one. Can get a basic PS2 ball-mouse for £1.50 in UK. I'm sure you can get similar in Germany.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#14]
my server is 500km away from here. i can't just buy a mouse and plug it in. this bug is very bad for me, cause its essential for my product. it will be a commercial game with standalone server - i can't bundle the game with an el-cheapo mouse just to run those dedicated servers... i'd like to have a sign of life of brl (on toms stencil buffer thread too!) - then i shut my mouth and wait for the update. if brl don't talk - i will ;)

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#15]
Can i Bump this too,

My software wont run without a mouse plugged in.

I am working with a team building a dedicated multi media moving ride console, requiring no keyboard or mouse, and has an embeded pc built in.
This is a pc approx the size of a video cassette, basically a laptop with no screen or keyboard and 4 holes (ps2 vga and power).

We have totally hit a wall because we need to produce these cheaply. Think about a cost of 3-5 quid a unit for a mouse (when the whole unit is around 500 quid), after a few hundred units, thats a hell of a price for something that shouldnt be needed.

Please BRL, can you disable the quit on no mouse thing?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#16]
Can you not force an install of a mouse using the non plug-n-play hardware installation wizard?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#17]
i tried several mouse emulation softwares. non of them worked. i even tried to install an old serial mouse via the wizard, but no success.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#18]
Wow... Serial mice not supported by Blitz?

Anyhow, if that hasn't worked, then I will vote for this fix too.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#19]
i dont know it blitz does not work with serial mouses (i just installed the software, not a real mouse, as my gameserver is 500 km away). fact is, if no mouse is connected, blitz will refuse to run. funny is, that without a keyboard and with a mouse there is absolutely no problem with blitz. runs fine.