Stack Overflow error in 1.96?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Stack Overflow error in 1.96?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#1]
or rather.... lack of a Stack Overflow error.

This code should cause a stack overflow and indeed it seems to as the code stops running after about 43,000 recursions. But it doesn't give an error message. Run this code with Debug on:
Global count = 0
Recursive()
Function Recursive()
	count = count + 1
        Print count ;Added this because the code isn't producing a stack overflow error
	Recursive()
End Function

OK the code is a bit extreme and you're probably never going to get many stack overflows in a real world scenario, but I can imagine the frustration an accidental stack overflow would cause, given that it doesn't seem to be offering an error message any more.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#2]
I've hit this in release mode before- It's an annoynig little bug that I never bothered to report,

I was creating a recursive fill routing. One too many recursions and the program quit, I Didn't figure it out for perhaps a week.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
isn't stack overflow reported by the OS? Or does this mean Blitz will abort before the overflow actually occurs?.

Ice9(Posted 2006) [#4]
recursion without exit is dangerous. recursion just keeps
loading the function in the stack over and over again so
of course you get stack overflow. Try it in C and you get
the same thing. Its memory management.

http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/14276

It would be dangerous to have a dynamic stack when most users
of basic don't need to understand how memory is handled.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#5]
recursion without exit is dangerous. recursion just keeps
loading the function in the stack over and over again so
of course you get stack overflow. Try it in C and you get
the same thing. Its memory management.
Er... I think you've missed the point. You obviously didn't read my first post any further than the thread title and the code.

The above code deliberately tries to cause a stack overflow, and it does cause the program to end, but no error is reported.

Blitz USED to report a stack overflow in this situation. Now, it does not, which is why I started this thread in Bug Reports.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#6]
I agree with Cygnus.
I'm pretty sure I had a stack overflow and Blitz quit with no warning.
Then as far as I know Windows tidies up the local stack once the app is gone.
But that's not the point - Blitz doesn't report it, which makes it a bugger to find, and of course this may only be reported (depending on local conditions) after release.