NO undo in blitz3d IDE

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/NO undo in blitz3d IDE

Boulderdash(Posted 2006) [#1]
If I could make just one suggestion to the blitz research team, Blitz basic has been around for how many years now?
And still no undo in the otherwise brillant IDE, this would be very useful for when you accidently trash your source code and there is no way back except from memory, ALL OTHER COMPILER'S SEEM TO HAVE IT, its an extremely useful feature and wouldnt take much to add in.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#2]
It's a function of the IDE you use, not the compiler.

There are many many alternative B3D IDEs out there, many free. Use one of those.

[edit] ACK! Thx jfk - IDEs, not compilers. D'oh. [/edit]

JazzieB(Posted 2006) [#3]
There is an undo feature, just not a very powerful one, as it only remembers the last thing you did. Use Ctrl+Z

However, I would highly recommend one of the alternative IDEs. I personally use Protean (before it was free), so not sure what the free version is like compared to the one I use. Plenty of others out there though, that are still be worked on.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yes, the default IDE is pretty pointless. Protean is the best around and it's free now. No excuses.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]

There are many many alternative B3D compilers out there,

well this is new to me :) guess it was a freudian typo.

BTW I think the IDE is pretty good. There may be better IDEs, but it's good enough for me right now, learning a new IDE scares me too much.

Using UNDO is probably not the way a programmer would work IMHO. Clicking the UNDO button nervously will probably bring you to a code version you are not fully aware of its features and Todos.

Personally I rather work this way:
whenever I have added importend stuff that actually works nicely, I go to the explorer window of the project, click the source file, hit CTRL-C then CTRL-V. This takes me a half a second and allows to go back to a number of versions at any time.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#6]
Using UNDO is probably not the way a programmer would work IMHO.

Huh? People using the default IDE love to come up with justifications and rationalizations about how a real programmer doesn't need undo. Let's say the incredibly unlikely situation happens where I do 2 things to my source and need to undo them both? But, as I said, that's incredibly unlikely so...

Just download Protean and move into the current century.

Boulderdash(Posted 2006) [#7]
1. I didnt mean that it was a bug in the compiler becuase I wouldnt be trying to hit undo while running code would i?, im talking about hitting undo while in the IDE enviroment.

there has been a couple of times when I "wreaked" my source code and couldnt just use undo to fix it like all other IDE's ,I dont believe anyone is so perfect at programming that you never make mistakes.
If you are 100% perfect do you want to team up on something?

sometimes my source code gets up around 10,000 lines of source.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#8]

Let's say the incredibly unlikely situation happens where I do 2 things to my source and need to undo them both? But, as I said, that's incredibly unlikely so...

I hear your sarcasm. Nevertheless, judge people not by the IDE's they use, but by the stuff they release.

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#9]
I think it would be great to have undo's in the normal IDE. Even ten or twenty would suit my needs fine. I have already downloaded protean, but I just don't like it very much. I know that it is probably much better and everything, and I don't have any idea why I don't like it, but I just realy like the normal blitz IDE.

Come on Blitz Research, it can't be that hard to add a few undo's! PLEASE!!!