Viewculling...a bug?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Viewculling...a bug?

WildStorm(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,
i've got here some animated meshs, now, when they're dead (liing on the ground) there is a problem...when I stnad over them and look a bit round, they just...disappear (of course they appear if i look a bit more around). I've got a culling-engine in the code, but it doesn't work, even if the engine is disabled..

(have a look at edit2...)

here some screens (so you see what i mean)

the problem with the code is...it's a bit more than 300kb...well, if i've got to give it to you, than maybe by mail..the models i can give ya by mail too (they're buyed, from psionic games (the soldier pack))

i don't get trough...

edit:
Ati Raedon 9600 All-In-Wonder (Catalyst 5.9)
WinXP SP1

edit2:
well, testet now with entityinview..when a soldier is getting invisible (but should be visible), the entityinview of this mesh is getting zero.

somehow it has to be a bug?!

edit3:
in the german forums is a similar post (same bug, other person :D )...so it can't be a code bug by me!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#2]
Its not a bug as such.

The "centre" of the pesh (local coords (0,0,0)) are off screen, so the mesh does not get rendered.

I get that alot for animated meshes.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
It is a known feature, unfortunately.

WildStorm(Posted 2005) [#4]
well, i got it working...i placed a cube under the mesh (and scaled it a bit)..alpha 0
now it works, but it's not the best solution (collision)..well, sad that mark couldn't implement the entityinview routine for bonemeshs to..

Panno(Posted 2005) [#5]
cygnus how to solve this ?
the "wildstorm" method will not work here

DJWoodgate(Posted 2006) [#6]
I suppose you need to be able to specify the culling box for animated meshes which would override the automatic one?

You might be able to change the culling box size Blitz uses by changing the values directly using an external memory function. I think blitz only updates the culling box size when there is a change to the mesh. I am not sure though, I have not tried it, so this is pretty speculative.

Perhaps then a function which allows you to change the size of the box?

MeshCull(X#,Y#,Z#, width#,height#,depth#)

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#7]

well, i got it working...i placed a cube under the mesh (and scaled it a bit)..alpha 0

Any code knocking around for this? Seems like a startling omission from B3D given how many enemy meshes with inevitably end up perpendicular to their original orientation in their death animations. I guess mine will have to splode into gibs for the time being :D

Danny(Posted 2006) [#8]
Aha, so that's why! Got this happening as well :/
That's pretty cr*p indeed!

And with the wildstorm method, it only works because 'the box' in underneath the models whilst you're looking down on them, right?!... So I'm guessing that won't necesarily work in every situation / pov?!!

:/

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#9]
this is nothing special, it happens in my apps/games and i have seen it in comercial games... just dont care on it :)
i guess there are worse bugs in the game than only these little ones...

simonh(Posted 2006) [#10]
I believe the next update will contain the command that DJWoodgate suggested.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#11]
Next update, please tell us more :)

Jason.

simonh(Posted 2006) [#12]
Nothing more to tell.

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#13]
Well I thought I`d try ;)

Jason.