Fonts on windows 98 not showing up?

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Fonts on windows 98 not showing up?

ryan scott(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a commercial font i'm using on my game, and a guy using Windows 98 says that the font doesn't show.

Is this a known issue with windows 98 potentially? i don't have windows 98 to try it, and don't know anyone else who does. Do fonts have to be installed in the windows fonts directory for 98 to use it? i'm just keeping it in my game path.

The game is at http://download.runinteractive.com/BRICKMAN.exe if anyone wants to try it. the font is included.

I think I might have to work around this problem, so what i want to know is, is there a standard font I can use on every machine, built into windows 98 and other windows? i want a font i can assume will be there.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
I have win98SE and your cellulartallsansbold.fon font appears currupt when viewed above a size of 12. This has nothing to do with blitz, though. I simply double clicked on the font file to view it.

Must be an issue with win98 and this font if you're sure it works under XP.

I think I might have to work around this problem, so what i want to know is, is there a standard font I can use on every machine, built into windows 98 and other windows? i want a font i can assume will be there.
Verdana, arial, courier are a safe bet.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
When you can scale it, isn't it a true type font then? Maybe you need to rename it to whatever.ttf then.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#4]
The only longstanding font bug I'm aware of ( which was never to my knowledge fixed ) is the bug where the internal font name must match the filename. Double click on it to open the font viewer, find the internal font name at the top and rename the font to match it if it does not already.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#5]
The troublesome font is in .fon format - whatever that is. The internal name and file name do match. He says it doesn't work under win98 only, so I dunno what's going on. :)