Compiler Environment Error: unable to open runtime

Archives Forums/Blitz3D Bug Reports/Compiler Environment Error: unable to open runtime

PacMani(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi there!

On Windows 8.1 x64, I cannot start Blitz3D.exe / more especially ide.exe 1.107. It does find the blitzpath environment variable, but it cannot start up, and just errors:

Blitz Basic
---------------------------
Compiler environment error: Unable to open runtime.dll

I debugged it with OllyDbg and the only thing I could find out is, that it tries to start blitzcc with CreateProcess, but gets the error ACCESS_DENIED everytime it tries to, causing this error to appear.

However, I completely turned User Account Control off, I am on an Administrator account, and the Administrator Approval Mode is also off (which is like a second UAC since Windows 8). It's a few days old Windows 8.1 installation and my first try to run Blitz3D, I never had this problem before on Windows 8.

On Windows XP it works fine.

Any solutions?

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#2]
Where did you install the program?

By default, windows 7/8 don't let you create write new programs to the c:\program files hierarchy after installation -- That';s also why blitzmax defaults to a standard installation folder of c:\blitzmax instead of c:\program files\blitzmax.

Try installing B3D in a different folder like C:\blitz3D , and see if the issue goes away?

Alternatively, you can change the folder permissions to give 'everyone' write access and remove any explicit denies that may be set up.
(Not sure if the home version of windows 8 shows you the security tab under folder permissions or not -- under Windows XP you had to reboot into safe mode for it to appear)

PacMani(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yeah, this is typical. Post a topic about a problem you can't solve till hours, and it's fixed.

I tried it in a virtual Windows 8.1 machine, it worked there.
I reinstalled Blitz3D on my real machine, it started to work again.

I tried reinstalling it about 8 times before... now it works. Whatever that was! It wasn't the Program Files folder problem since UAC is off and AAM too. I also moved it somewhere else outside of it just for tests and gave explicit access, nothing worked. Now it does. Weirdness!

PacMani(Posted 2014) [#4]
I think I know the solution now. Forgot this step in my last post.

The only difference I noticed between the virtual machine and real pc installation was that Windows didn't ask me to install the legacy component DirectPlay before starting Blitz3D. In the virtual machine it did. I manually installed DirectPlay and then it worked again.

If you want to try that too, go to
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Legacy Components > DirectPlay. Check it and click OK. Then try to start Blitz3D again.